So anyways ... Did you hear about this? I laughed when reading the title. U.S. Air Force building supercomputer from PS3s

No doubt the Air Force purchasing department gets some odd requests from time to time, but we'd love to have seen the grin on the face of the officer tasked with procuring some 1,700 Playstation 3s for a USAF facility in Rome, NY.

Before you complain about your tax dollars being spent on toys, the machines aren't for gaming. Instead, the facility -- an Air Force research lab -- will join them into a parallel-computing cluster that, when complete, will number well over 2,000 PS3s.

The supercomputer -- snappily monikered "500 TeraFLOPS Heterogeneous Cluster" -- will be put to work playing 2,000 simultaneous games of God of War III. Wait, no. Among other things, they'll be attempting to simulate the way the human brain processes information and how it pulls off the remarkably difficult task of recognizing the content of images.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

• Yeah, I saw that last night.

Cool, I guess.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Interesting. lots of smart folks walking this planet. My son's UC campus offers a computer gaming degree- of course it involves lots of math and science, software writing etc....

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sister ~ That makes sense. There is $$$$$$$ to be made in THAT industry......I know...my dh personally contributes to the PS bottom line ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yup I know of human factor engineers/computer programmers in the AF and civillians contracted through the AF who design flight simulators, cockpits, etc... It's a stressful and demanding job that they all love.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• And yet....we have the highest jobless rate ever....I don't disagree with this project, just the timing of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2010