anyone know what kind of soil grape vines like and how to plant them

rainbowpea

Asked by rainbowpea at 4:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't do that if I were you. When we bought our house, grape vines were everywhere! In every single tree, it looked like a haunted forest. They spread like crazy. It took years to get rid of. The entire back yard was overrun with them. I think they would grow in concrete if they had to. I highly advise against it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• They like sandy loam soil that is well drained.

I also found this for you: SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Grapes are widely adapted. They prefer deep, well drained soils. Once established, the plants are tolerant of droughty sites, with their long, deep striking roots. Soil of average fertility is best, as too rich a soil promotes abundant vegetative growth at the expense of fruit production. Grapes prefer slightly acid soils. When planting, prune the plant back to two buds. Place a 5 ft. stake next to the young vine for support for the first year. Select one cane to grow up the stake and remove other shoots. By the second year a permanent trellis should be erected. Seven or eight foot posts buried 2 feet, spaced at 8 foot intervals, will make a good support system. Wires can be placed at 3 1/2 and 5 feet in height.

Ours are growing along our chain-link backyard fence. They'll be 4 years old this year & we should get grapes!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2010