Do you EXPECT your Mom/MIL to babysit your kid?

I am pretty shocked and amazed at how many people I know and have met seriously expect their mothers to watch their kids everyday, like free daycare. I was at the dentist recently and the dental hygienist told me that her mother moved in w/ her and watched her kids every single day while she was at work. I told her how much I pay for full-time daycare and she couldn't believe it. I told her that having kids was my choice and that I absolutely don't expect my MIL to watch my child everyday. As it is, she only watches her one half day a week and she has been a stay-at-home mom for over 40 years (hasn't worked in all that time). I just don't think it's anyone else's responsbility to watch my kid for free. This hygienist was shocked and said 'oh, I absolutely think it's my mom's job to watch my children.' What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nope. I don't expect anything from my mom or MIL.

If I ASK - they'll help if they can.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I am 100% grateful that my parents love to watch my son and do so often, but in NO way to I expect them to drop their lives to be my babysitter
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No, I don't expect anything from anyone. Even babysitting. It is that sense of entitlement going on. People think they are entitled to free stuff from everyone.
    Anonymous

• Nope. When my mom was unemployed I paid her to care for my children. She preferred working and found a job and I got a nanny.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't think it is their job but I do ask them to sit from time to time. My mom stays with us on occassion to save on gas and she said it is her way of pitching in since she eats with us and uses our shower, washer and dryer. My MIL will also take the kids for an overnight visit if something comes up, like both their dad and I having to work on a weekend.
    Anonymous

• No. My mom has only babysat a couple times, same with my MIL. They would both jump at the chance to babysit though! They think we're overprotective!! Our son is 3. Our second baby is due in July, my MIL will watch him while I'm in the hospital.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I do not expect them to watch my kids or even for free. But gratefull they will watch the for us every know and then.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Nope. Hes my son, my responsibility. I have never even asked someone to babysit him. My in laws did offer over Christmas while we were visiting to watch him for a bit and that was ok but I never expect or ask people to.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• You are right and your dental hygienists is spoiled!
    Anonymous

• i rather say i expect it from my inlaws or from my parents than to leave my child with anyone besides my parents,ive never payed either one,they wont let me...............but in my case they both have to beg to see my kid,cause im not one to be letting him go all the time.I want my son to be around family rather than strangers.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010