How can I get my 13 month old to stop waking up in the night?

The doctor suggested we try the ferber method and benydril before bed and both failed. I am still breastfeeding but only because the baby wont stop screaming if I don't . I don't know what to do. Please Help.

thetiredmom

Asked by thetiredmom at 4:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What kind of doctor suggests unnecessarily drugging a child to get them to sleep??? Benedryl works like a stimulant. Children only get sleepy when they've taken too much.

All children wake during the night. The difference is that some are capable of self soothing and others are not. Currently your child uses you to soothe. You can either let your child CIO, do a modified CIO or suck it up and keep nursing him back to sleep.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Benadryl? wat? NOOO .... all babies are different. you cant make a baby stop from waking up at night.
    But she/he probably waking up bcse he/she is hungry. try giving a bottle wit little baby oatmeal on it. Thats what i did wit my baby bcse he would wake up at night hungry. and baby oatmeal helps fill their tumy up but i cant promise that he/she wont wake up. thats normal.
    and i would definitely look into gettin a different dr.
    20_mama_3

Answer by 20_mama_3 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No cereal in bottles, please...it's a choking risk.

It's quite normal for your baby to still be waking. Some sleep more, others don't...and anything you do will only make you feel as if you're doing something. Sleeping more is developmental and you can't force it.

The doc recommended something VERY DANGEROUS with the benedryl. If you made a dosing mistake the baby could have DIED. Change docs.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• try giving a filling snack right before bedtime and make sure baby has a lil bit of milk too. See if that doesn't help. Baby may be doing it out of habit though so may have to try a cry it out method.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• You really need to find a new doctor. Benadryl is not a benign substance.

Your child is waking during the night because he has a teeny tummy and is hungry. You will sleep better if you co-sleep; you can doze while baby eats.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I would DEFINITELY go get a new doctor. Benadryl is NOT the answer.

But try some soothing music or background noise and a set bedtime schedule.. it will take a while but dedicate an hour before his bedtime to a nice soothing bath, and a book and some nice soothing bedtime music..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I WOULD DEF REPORT YOUR DOCTOR!!!! Thats crazy shows your dr was only tryin to get you out of the office without a care!!! Mines almost 13 months and rarley sleeps all night he sleeps all night with me but when i put him in his bed he wakes 3-4 times at night... Its normal
    Brookey25

Answer by Brookey25 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I know you are ready for a full night's sleep! I agree with the pp's - no benadryl! Yes, your LO is using you to soothe him/herself back to sleep. My son just got madder and madder when we tried the Ferber method, and we had to do CIO. If you aren't already, start a good bedtime routine and maybe a white noice machine (air purifier, etc). My son used to wake up at that age every night for a bottle... we started decreasing the amount by 1 oz each night he woke up to wean him from his nightly snack, and eventually let him CIO. So maybe cut the feeding by a few minutes if that will work?
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2010