My son got the silver Nitrate put on his belly button earlier today... Then the Doctor realized it was expired...

Will this harm my baby? WTF was the doc thinking? She said it SHOULD be fine... Well what happens if its not fine? The bottle said it expired 8/09.... What should I do if anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know that there is anything you CAN do... but definitely make a complaint!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• it will be fine! dont worry.
    Anonymous

• I don't see anything in particular online about what happens past expiration just that it should be immediately disposed of. It's not even approved for pediatric use so it was already off-label. My son needed his belly button done twice, I felt bad he had to have it done!
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• most pharmaceuticals come with an exp date for sales purposes, but are in fact FINE.

silver nitrate also comes in a host of other forms, including shaving sticks- which consequently, have no exp date. Baby is fine, no worries.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• what is silver nitrate?
    Anonymous

• It may not be as effective but it should be fine.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 4:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• The only risk (that I know of) with expired drugs and such, is that it is possible it may not be fully effective.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2010