vicks vapor rub

can you put vicks on a 19 month olds chest? my son has a horrible cold and you can hear all the stuff he has built up in his chest when he coughs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make baby vicks. Thats what I used on my kids
    Anonymous

• I would use the baby vicks...they also make a thing you can plug in the wall that works well.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i STILL USE BABY VICKS ALSO -And i read on here once to put it on their feet and it lessens the cold - old wives tale or something but it actually has helped my son!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• VIcks vapor plug in - also I use a humidifier and the johnson and johnson vapor bath bubble bath
    maxsmom11807

• I've used it. I don't rub it directly on baby's skin, though. I put it on a piece of flannel and put that under her jammies so it doesn't irritate her skin.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• im am not able to go back out and buy baby vapor rub....so would it be bad to use regular vapor rub?
    Anonymous

• Vicks on the bottom of the feet for cough always worked for my kids. I really don't like even the baby vicks on the chest. It opens pores and you have to be really careful to clean it off well the next morning. The new Vicks Vapor Plug-ins are awesome. Ifact 3 weeks ago when 3 of us were sick I didn't just put them in their rooms at night..I plugged one on each side of the family room during the day. I def. would NOT use regular vicks on a baby 19 months. The risk of burning sensation from the mentol is too great.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• it wont hurt your 19 month old. I put our vicks on my son, just a very small amount on the chest and under nose though. My son is 13 months old and does fine with it. You might try a small spot on your babies skin if you are concerned though.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Put in on his feet as well, then socks over feet.

Be careful not to get it too close to his face/eyes.
    Anonymous

• I use a vicks vaporizor. The steam will get the gunk out, and the liquid menthol is distributed in the air. It is more effective than the rub.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 6:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2010