How do I learn to cook and sew?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Cook - buy a cookbook and follow the recipes - something like the classic Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that also has explanitions in it for cooking terms.
    You could also see if your local community college / tech college has classes same for sewing. A lot of community/tech colleges have adult education courses for beginners in sewing, cooking, painting, etc.
    Anonymous

• YouTube!! lol

Cooking is all about trial and error. Try simple recipes that you know you'll like and grow from there. Buy the Better Homes & Garden red cook book - it's like the Bible, everyone should have it in their house!

For sewing, seriously go to YouTube. Anything you're trying to make they will have a tutorial for. Start with small projects, like a pillowcase dress for a little girl or adding a patch to her pants. I like this website: http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/

Message me if you'd like more specific tips and advice on either subject!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• google your city and see if there are any classes offered around where you live. You can probably check your library too for books or DVDs.
    Anonymous

• A couple good cook books will get you started with cooking. I like Better Homes and Gardens for simple, yummy, family friendly food and The Joy of Cooking for the depth of reference material. I hardly ever use Joy of Cooking for actual recipes, because the recipes are generally long, complicated, and not always kid friendly, but the amount of information about what to look for in ingredients (what to look for in fresh, ripe produce, how to select cuts of meat, etc) is truly amazing. I also love The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cuisine because I've learned how to handle fruits, vegetables, and spices in really interesting ways.
    For sewing, see if any of your local fabric stores (Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn's are two good places to start) hold sewing classes. Your state's University County Extension office might also offer classes or be able to point in the right direction. City Parks and Recreation might even offer such classes.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• well, as far as the cooking goes I would get the cookbook 'HELP! my apartment has a kitchen!' assuming it's still in print.
    it has a lot of helpful hints that the other books don't have, like can you add water to pasta after you're already started cooking and the like.
    as far as the sewing goes, I would start with something simple, like the it's so easy simplicity patterns. sewing is very worth the tie in my opinon! you just need to be patient, and if something doesn't work, then try, try, again!
    feel free to PM me if you would like - I sew all the time :) - there's also groups in this site for sewing that could be helpful
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• allrecipes.com helps me alot, to find more recipes, and everyday people post them, so their easy to ready, and the ingredients are simple. Sewing, im not sure, i dont know how either lol. but good luck
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Foo Network is a good plac to learn. As for sewin, etc., youtube or your local adult education classes or a place where fabric is sold.
    Anonymous

• I can't sew worth a lick, so I couldn't help you there. As for learning how to cook, watch Foodnetwork. I have learned more from them then any place else. I love that they will often explain why you are supposed to do the recipe in a certain order. Or tell you how to use your senses to tell if something is ready. I especially like Good Eats with Alton Brown. Kind of a cooking show meets Bill Nye the Science Guy. My girls love it too.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I can't help you with sewing. For cooking, go to the library and check out one or two children's cookbooks; I really like Pretend Soup; Rachel Ray also has a good one.

Once you have mastered the basics, then move on to a broader one; anything by Nava Atlas will be fabulous!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2010