What was your experience if you had your infant share a room with an older child?

My family is going to be buying a new home soon and we aren't sure whether we ought to buy a 2 bedroom or a 3 bedroom. We have one child, but want more eventually. We don't plan on staying in our "starter home" for a long time, but a couple years at least. I am trying to decide whether it would be a bad or a good idea to plan on a baby sharing a room with my son, who is currently a toddler. It would obviously be cheaper to get a 2 bedroom house, so I would like to know if there are women out there who can relate the experience they had with a toddler sharing their room w/ a baby. We would have the baby in our room at first, I think, but after the first few months we'd want to move them to another room. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• mine shared until this summer --- they were 5 and 4
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My two youngest share a room. It works out now they are 3 & 4 but when the younger was an infant it was really really hard to deal with. The baby would cry & wake up the older one. And the little one was (and still kind of is ) a very light sleeper, very cranky when she wakes up & was really hard to get back to sleep. So in order to keep the older one asleep I was forever going out to the living room with her. It was so tedious & I was always wishing they could have separate rooms. We didnt want the baby in our room either though because my husband works extremely early & needs some sleep. So yeah, it was hard.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 5:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• our kids shared a room, they are 5 years apart. They shared untill we bought a 4 bedroom house, our youngest was 3 then. It wasn't too bad, most of the toys were downstairs and they shared bunk beds. Both my kids took sleeping very seriously and weren't light sleepers. When my son was school aged I would put our youngest to bed and hour before our oldest. If I didn't our daughter would keep her brother up with her babbling lol. So our youngest went to bed at 7 and our oldest at 8! :) It worked out because we had no choice but to make it work.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• We were in a one bedroom house when my younger son was born, so we were sharing a room with my one year old and a newborn. We really didn't have any problems, my older son had no problems sleeping through his baby brother waking up at night or anything. They're now almost two and almost one, we have a two bedroom apartment, they still share a room, and it works out just fine.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• If you can easily afford a 3 bedroom house that's what I would recommend. You can get by with two bedrooms, but if it isn't a pleasant situation you may find yourself wanting to move again sooner rather than later. You never know what the future will hold, but I expect housing prices and interest rates will be rising over the next few years making it harder to afford "more house" unless you start making more money. Of course you can't plan for everything. We bought a 3 bedroom house when we had one child, and then our next one ended up being twins. We are now buying into a 4 bedroom so everyone can have plenty of space (due to low housing prices and interest rates our mortgage payment will only be $10 more per month in the bigger house).
    Anonymous