My 21 month old boy keeps hitting when he is mad

When he gets mad at me for taking something away from him, he'll yell and start hitting me with all his little might. I always ask politely first but then he'll pull away and yell at me "No!". His hitting doesn't hurt now, but I'm aftraid it'll hurt the kids he plays with and eventually later on it WILL start hurting. I am trying to get to understand that hitting is wrong and it seems like I'm just making it worse! What do I do?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 5:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hit his hand and say "NO, hitting hurts Mommy". Believe me, he will get the message. Tell him that it makes you sad.

Do not hit him hard, just to get the message across. His "FEELINGS" be hurt, that it is about it. At this age, he know right from wrong.

Yes, I DID do that to my boys. They dit it maybe one or two times more then quit.

It till be OK. Trust me. Yes,you are a Good Mommy for teaching him right fromwrong.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP. I did the same thing with my daughter... just gave her hand a little smack. It did not hurt her at all, but it startled her enough to listen to me and stop the behavior.
    Anonymous

• when my daughter first started this, I started with time out. I would set her down on a chair and tell her why it's not okay to hit, then told her she had to stay there for one minute. After a minute, if she wasn't over it and was continuing to hit me and scream, I would tap her hand, put her back in the chair for another minute. However this is in extreme cases. The best thing is to avoid the tantrum all together. Always have a back up/ replacement. If you are picking up his toys (for example), and you want to pick up let him pick out ONE toy to keep out. Giving your child the power of a choice, makes it easier for both you and him. If he has something he should have, you tell him it's mommies, but mommy would love to share something else with him.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i immediately put my daughter down or walk away from her. i tell her no, that she is not to hit and it hurts mommy as i am putting her down/walking away. then i let her throw her fit and calm down. after that i will hold her if she wants to. my daughter is generally not throwing a tantrum when it starts, hitting me. its generally something she does either on accident or if she is doing it on purpose its because she thinks its a game.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• time out is the best way...why would you hit your kid and tell them not to hit? doesn't make sense to me. I do time out and it's pretty effective
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2010