Gatorade, Vitamin water, crystal lite, powerade 22 month old?

Is it ok to give to my 22 month old boy, NOT watered down or anything? I know I can't give him TOO much of the stuff, but how much is that?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 5:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If would NOT give him any. He is too young. Besides, that is a way to getting your child used to drinking soda, etc. Not good for the teeth.
    Anonymous

• ANY AT ALL IS TOO MUCH.

there is this amazing thing its called water. we're mostly made out of it. it is what our bodies need.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My dd loves the powdered flavoring that you can add to water, and it's sugarless. You should try that, but she also loves just plain old ice water.
    Anonymous

• I have given my 15 month old this stuff. Gatorade/Powerade is filled with high furtose corn syrup. Not good. But I dont see a problem with vitamin water and crystal light. It is all about moderation. Limit it to 4-8 oz per day. But put this in the category of juice, soda, too. IT is not good to have much of it. BUt dont feel bad for doing it, its your kid. I give sweets sparingly to my son, so what??
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 6:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't think I'd give my kids any of those. Gatorade/Powerade is for adult athletes who are only supposed to drink them while they are working out. Ppl aren't even supposed to just drink them without working out. As for the Vitamin Water, I'd first find out how much of each vitamin a child needs per day and make sure you're not giving your kid too much by adding Vitamin Water to his/her diet. As for Crystal Light, what's it sweetened with? Artificial sweeteners shouldn't be given to children. Adults shouldn't use artificial sweeteners either because scientists STILL haven't fully figured out long term side effects of them. I wouldn't want to risk setting my child up for health issues later just because I wanted to give him a drink like Crystal Light.
    LRBsMommy

Answer by LRBsMommy at 6:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Vitamin water has too many vitamins... the other stuff has too much sugar... no, a dab here and there of course wouldn't kill him or even hurt him, but what 2 year-old understands moderation? Kids just don't care about that stuff if they don't know what they're missing... and they're better off for it. My almost 3 year-old gets the most immense pleasure from drinking the juice we squeeze out of the grapefruit after she's eaten the fruit... why? because that's the only juice she gets. Even if we drank and ate garbage as kids and are "fine" now (and now love the stuff), that's not a reason to think that our kids are deprived without it. Give your child the gift of healthy eating habits from the beginning... I wish I had that stuff from the beginning -- I struggle all the time with wanting the junk even though I know it's no good... so I drink coke and gatorade... but my kids sure won't, at least not until they can buy it...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No. Water is the only beverage he needs. Do not give a child artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. Do not give a child genetically modified foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't give my children any of those. They drink water or diluted juice.
    la_bella_vita

Answer by la_bella_vita at 8:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I really don't think you should give your child any of that. Diet stuff has too many chemicals and artificial junk like aspertaime(sp) that is bad for you (crystal light) and the rest is too sugary or has nutrients that can overload your baby's liver. I'm not a hippy mom. I don't buy organic, and while I don't feed my baby junk food, I'm basically middle of the road and would really only suggest milk or water. They don't know what they're missing unless you give it to them.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• there is absolutely nothing wrong with genetically modified foods. I have a ph.D in food science and it helps save millions of lives and has been done since the dawn of time. corn wasn't even corn until people started doing basic genetic modifications. the stuff you hear about mixing strange things like fish and veggies is kept to the labs and is about extracting small components to yield more efficient crops, not create mutants. trying to stop GE crops will literally kill millions of people because normal crops either cannot feed enough people in starving regions or cannot survive in the harsh climates. The OP was asking about a drink, not foods. If you don't like them, don't eat them but know it will do you no harm.
    Anonymous