Have you ever heard of using a paper match to get a dog to do number 2?

A local dog trainer told me to start using that to get my old 13 yr old pug to use the bathroom outside. Apparently dog handlers use them so the dogs wont go on the show floor. They just insert a paper match in dogs rectum and almost instantly they use the bathroom. I have been doing it and it works, we have way less accidents in the house. And No Im not just lazy, we try walking him and he has a dog door and full acre to use the bathroom on but he insists on running back inside to poop. He has gone crazy in his old age and I have an 11 mo old so I cant have a dog pooping in the house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pets

• That is nasty!
    Anonymous

• WTF?

If the dog has gas and you light a match, BOOM! LOL

what a dumb idea. Gross too.
    Anonymous

• Its not dumb if it works. And no we are obviously not lighting the match. I should have expected some childish responses like that.
    Anonymous

• Why would you advertise that info. I would have shared that if someone asked how to keep a dog from crapping in the house, but to start a question about it? You are LOOKING for childish answers!
    Anonymous

• good info to have. our vet told us to do something similar with a cat that was incontinent- only it involved vaseline and a q-tip. worked wonders! totally made out of litter box clean up unnecessary.

as far as childish answers go, they can take their paper match and stuff it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• This website is a forum for discussion and connections and if I was wondering if I was the only one who had ever done this then I have the right to ask. Also, like the above person said, they said thanks for the info so if someone reads this and it possibly helps them then that is why as well.

Anonymous

• Huh, I'll have to pass this on to my mother who is having trouble getting her new puppy to go outside. He'll only go on the paper (or the floor obviously) no matter how long she keeps him outside for. Thanks for the info!
    Anonymous

• You're not gross or crazy. A lot of people do this, like your trainer said, when they show dogs. My only concern would be that he might become dependent on the stimulation. I know humans can get dependent on enemas and laxatives. Maybe ask you vet?

I think it's kind of you to go out of your way for your old dog so he can have some dignity and keep pottying outside in his senile old age.

Just wondering- is he using the doggie door well at this point? Because he might be using your floor to make a statement about his dissatisfaction with the doggie door.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think that is good info! Just because someone does not understand the need for it, does not mean that someone else might not "get it" and be able to use the info
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• He was using the doggy door just fine. I know he cant help it because sometimes when I get up in the morning he has pooped in his sleep and didnt even realize it and once we caught him pooping in his crate while he ate. For a pug 13 is pretty old...and as soon as he gets on the deck he starts to pee and I know he wouldnt do this if he could help it. At first we thought it was because he hated our new baby or the new hardwood floor but its not that, we have realized he just can't help it. And we know bathroom issues are the first to show up in old dogs, usually.

But I do want to say, the trainer said its not necessarily a good thing to use to "train" puppies because like the above poster said, then they will be dependent on it and you surely dont want to have to do this too much :-) trust me, its not fun to put on a rubber glove and go out in 20 degree weather to shove a match in your dogs butt....lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2010