The clean and the unclean

I have been studying the reasons for the clean and the unclean meat and a thought entered my mind last night. That the clean and unclean animal food laws was a shadow of how we are supposed to watch how we act. For Jesus told us it's not what we eat that defiles us or makes us unclean or abominations, it's our actions. It's what we say and do and think. Has anyone else been shown this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• um to me that's just common sense
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• explain?
    Anonymous

• i bvelieve it was peter who saw the vision of unclean food and was told to eat and to not tell the lord what he had made was unclean. so i just don't worry about clean or unclean
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 7:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'm not worried about clean or unclean.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My mom is Jewish. I grew up not eating "filth." A lot of people want to attach science to it and say the diet laws are about health and farming practices and blah blah blah. No, it's the law. God said don't do it. Like stopping at a stop sign. Sure, both good ideas. Both are the law. You just follow the law.

Esoteric branches of Judeo-Christian faiths often view these laws as metaphors for living in peace and harmony. "Unclean" foods are a metaphor for sensual pleasures that separate the earthly self form the spiritual plane. Very common idea.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Now that you mention it, I never really looked at how mean the Christian god really was until you brought this up. He puts both clean and unclean meat here, yet He tells us not to eat certain things because He made them unclean? And since when did God make imperfection anyway?
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yep, I got that too. However, I am not Jewish... just Christian, and know that we are allowed to eat any meat that isn't offered to an idol nowadays :)
    Yes, many laws we symbolic, etc. It was basically that before Jesus came people could not really have the holy spirit in them (before baptism, etc) and after that it was possible. I think it was harder to trust in the Lord and stay steadfast and all the laws (all six hundred something of 'em) were meant to keep people on track and think of God constantly in their daily lives.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes I agree that it is in a sense a foreshadowing of how Christians are to be, that there is a distinciton between clean and unclean, holy and unholy. God wants His people to be in the world but not of it, called out and different than what is around us. Especially in this day the morals of the church as so low there is very little distinction, very little conviction. So yes absolutely the Lord wants us to come out and be holy in the places nobody sees, the heart because if it's clean there it can't be hidden.
    Anonymous

• I think a lot of things in the Law of Moses had a secular application (it was their everyday political law) AND a spiritual symbolic foreshadowing for the Christ.
    Anonymous

• Exactly! The Holy Spirit just opened your eyes on that! :-) Got love it!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2010