have you ever sold gold?

I usually ignore the commercials advertising companies buying gold, asuming they're probably scams. But I saw an article on the news where a woman went to a "gold selling" party and made like $1100 on just a few pieces. She said she was only looking to make $300 and was very surprised.

So, I'm wondering - has anyone ever sold gold? how much did you get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I did. I always thought they were scams too, and I wouldn't do it through the mail, but there are tons of jewelers, etc. all over that are doing it. I brought in my old crap, ugly earrings I would never wear again, broken chains, mismatched stuff...I was hoping to get at least $100 for it and I walked away with $750!!!! The guy checked it all out, showed me how he can tell real gold vs fake, weeded out a few pieces I had that were actually sterling silver (I thought they were white gold) and then weighed it and said, "thats 750", and I thought, great who cares how much it weighs, how much will you give me? So I had this dumb look on my face, so he repeated, I'll give you $750 for it. I almost fell on the floor. Take your stuff in, see what they say, if you don't like the price they give you, just take your stuff and go somewhere else.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Oh, also, the man that bought my gold also does parties, he gave me his card, but I never bothered with that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• We sold my husband's solid gold wedding band. We bought new ones for Christmas for each other in 2008. We didn't get much for it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• You will get the best price from a local, independent jeweler.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't have any gold, so I've never sold any. I'm a sterling silver kind of girl.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010