Why is it okay?

For all those against a nationalized health care system, why do you believe it's okay for those who have the highest need of medical attention to go without or go into extreme debt to try to get it?

I'm a woman in good health. My husband is a young man and in bad health. He was in a horrible accident that left him with many chronic conditions. His medications cost us over $500 a month, his therapies nearly twice that. I am self employed and earn too much for us to be eligible for Medicaid, and we cannot get health coverage for him because no company will touch him. Within the next year, I foresee having to file bankruptcy because of the debt we've gone into in medical bills.

How is this okay with you? How is ruining our lives an okay system to live with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because some people only care about issues that effect them personally.

I am sorry for your pain , hope health care reform passes and helps your family. No one in America deserves to go bankrupt due to health care costs.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I can't answer that, but I'd sure like to hear from somebody who can. I'm a big supporter of universal health care, myself. I grew up in a country that's had it for decades, and they have a GREAT health care system (and additionally, no homeless/living below the poverty line people, go figure), so I really don't understand why everybody is bitching about getting it here...

And I'm very sorry about your situation...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• How is it ok to ruin others by forcing all us into a government run healthcare system..its no secret they fail all of the time.Also wed end up with alot of bottom of the barrel care/doctors.Why is it that some insist it must be a uhc system? Why not other solutions that still keeps our healthcare out of the hands of the government?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I have a friend who lives in Germany has been there for 11 yrs they have a uhc system and some of it is good and some bad it isnt any utopia and their taxes are wild.She has lupus and has had to work out of her basement to keep up with taxes..her husband is an officer.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• There are other solutions besides a government takeover of our healthcare system. I don't think anyone will deny that we need to do something about our healthcare system, but what has been put in the bills is not right. What was passed in the two bills last year will result in rationing, and in everyone being on the so-called public option, which will not be optional at all.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My first question would be why didn't he have health insurance before his accident? Also he would be eligible for SSI and Disability (with the way you make it sound). Also since he has no insurance now the reform that would be need is no pre-existing condition clauses. That there would fix it also with the idea of a donation money pool that people can apply for a grant (the money goes to a government pool and comes out of the pool) as a grant for those with excessive medical bills. There I just solved over half of Americas Problems then of course you don't want monopolies so you want fair prices by inducing competition by opening it up across state lines. I see the ideas above fixing the majority of the "health care problem" but I do not see HCr proposed by Obama as a solution. It will raise prices and cause everyone to be on the government plan.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Right 29again and even Obama admitted to that stuff got 'snuck in' I do not buy he had clue but regardless
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Its NOT ok but I find it AWFUL presumptuous of those with UHC TUNNEL vision to ASSume that those of against UHC are FOR the current system. I have YET to see a SINGLE person on here say that. AS a matter of FACT i see MANY MANY state OVER AND OVER health care REFORM ideas that would go a LOOOOOOG way with out tripling our taxes. But if the head in the sand approach to alternate ideas works for some of you, roll with it. I think its silly to act like UHC is going to be a fix all. Obama HIMSELF said that many would STILL be left withouty coverage. AND you can scoff at death panels ALL day but when the govt starts running short of money for UHC (which WILL happen......look at ANY govt agency) they WILLL make cuts on what gets treated first and who gets left waiting.......could be YOUR dh.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Once again, the assumption implicit in your question is that the health care laws which have passed the House and Senate would take care of the problems you describe. They have yet to moosh the two different Bills into a single health care bill, and then get this new one to pass in both Houses.

On this single aspect of the bills, let me say that it would be VERY nice if you were given relief. Of course I do not want it to ruin you.

But you ARE aware, are you not?, that if this does get made into law, the ONLY thing activating immediately is the collection of fees and higher taxes from businesses and from individuals. Yes, for 4 years they will be collecting money BEFORE any programs to help citizens get started. If it were to pass TOMORROW, we would still have to wait until 2014 for any gov't assistance.

Also, this law requires you to buy insurance. Requires. I think you would get a waiver because the pre-ex (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Well sai waldorfmom I really wish some get it that it isnt about us all being nasty and uncompassionate folks that is totally rediculous
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2010