Okay, got a letter from my daughters school about "goth" and "emo" kids....now mind you they're talking about 4th grd girls....do you think this means they're going to start cutting themselves?

Give me a break....the guidance counselor and principal are so NARROW MINDED! Guess they never experienced life too much....I'm so irritated! Just b/c a kid listens to that music it doesn't mean they're going to start cutting themselves....I think I'll dress completely in black at the next home and school meeting and wear dark makeup and black nail polish....mind you, I won't have to go out and buy this stuff.....just really pisses me off!

greeneyes

Asked by greeneyes at 7:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It sounds like your daughters in a very narrow minded school. Lol, I'd go dressed up and make a point.

I made it a point to wear all black as did my husband when my mother in-law made a statement that black means you're depressed. So every time we went to her house we'd make a point to wear black. She finally stopped making such stupid and ignorant statements especially since we are very jovial, fun loving people who couldn't be farther from depression. I'm all for the "who cares what others think" mindset but sometimes ignorant close minded people drive me crazy and rub me wrong, especially when they deal with my children... I don't want them growing up with such a view of life.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Cutters have a serious personality disorder. Kids don't do it bc they dress in black or listens to certain kinds of music. The school counselor needs to be educated.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• From the title I was going to say goth or emo does not = cutting and cutting does not = goth or emo. Some of these people would be amazed at who is cutting.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• ug...some of our educators need to be educated in common sense.
    mynameiskat

Answer by mynameiskat at 7:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• so do they not allow that kind of dressing in the school? (that would suck, but you can always wear something else and still be educated right?) just cuious, was it like a heads up or something?
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i think they are watching too many movies
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• it was a heads-up letter...just uneducated paranoia, if you ask me. As far as dressing that way, like I said my daughter ( 6 yrs) likes to wear alot of black, she wears biker boots with a black dress and leggings....she looks sooooo cool.....anyways, I would love them to say something about dressing in black.....if the make-up thing started then they may have something.....I wouldn't want my 4th grade daughter wearing all the black stuff, even though I like it....in 4th grade they shouldn't be worrying about makeup, BUT the school has absolutely NO right to tell them which kind of music they can or cannot listen to....
    greeneyes

Answer by greeneyes at 8:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• so what does the letter say...like to watch out if they start dressing in black and listening to "goth" music or something?
    I agree that that has NOTHING to do with cutting (real cutting) and it sounds like they are uneducated in what being goth is all aobut...I think they would be shocked that some of the music can be really uplifting and positive
    GRRR
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Ladies I am not bashing and all have a right to your own opinion, but narrow minded or not the school is just giving you a heads up. My youngest is 17 and our oldest is 40, ther are 6 inbetween them, so I have seen and heard alot. It may be "cute" when they are in 4th grade but when the get older it is not so cute anymore...The body piercings, tatoos, sex and drugs and suicides. Cutters come from all walks of life and dress in all different ways so I do agree with you on that fact. I have very mixed feelings about the music ( believe me with 8 kids I have heard it all to this date) if I do not like a song our youngest is listening to I tell him and he changes it. So many songs out there have way more information in them then what your young children should be listening to. All in all just pay attention to your kids and really listen to them. and you won't have anything to worry about...
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 11:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Firsts off, my daughters will not have any tattoos or piercings unitl they're on their own and then they can make their own decisions.......I know you're not bashing, but did you ALWAYS listen to the music your parents told you to. This whole things reminds of when some kid committed suicide b/c of Ozzy Osbourne's lyrics.....guess my mother should've realized that I was going to be suicidal b/c I walked around w/an Ozzy tshirt and listened to heavy metal, blah, blah, blah....I should pull out that old tshirt and wear it to the meeting....All I'm saying is they should worry about their own lives and let us worry about our children. I make it a point to become friends with my daughter's friends from when they were in preschool....I will know what's going on with them....I've been there and done that.....my kids won't be able to get away with anything!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2010