Does your kid have a love/hate relationship with his/her toys?

My daughter drives me up the wall with this crap! For example, she has this Dora backpack that she want me to put on her and then she does the clips herself. Once she gets the clips shut, she whines for me to take it off.............OVER AND OVER AND OVER! Same with her dolls, she undresses them and then wants me to dress them, she undresses them wants me to undress them. She had this laptop that is a little tough to get open, so she would immediately shut it and then cry. I'd open it, she'd shut it and cry. I had to rig it with tape so it never closes. I hid the backpack and I dress the dolls OVER and OVER all day long.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• She's learning. And it's hard to put backpacks on. Maybe show her how to carry a backpack with just one arm in, and with the dolls taking the clothing, that just takes learning, too. You can show her how, but it will take time for her to get it. Maybe she's tired too when she gets upset more quickly. My daughter would never get upset if she couldn't get a puzzle done, but my son would walk away and my niece even cried out of frustration. They're all so unique!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• how old is she?? if she is over 1 1/2 i would say that she is more testing you than trying to learn how to do it herself, but is she is a baby then she is probably trying to learn. my DD used to try that with me, she didnt really know what she wanted to do with her toys except that i was always to fix what she had torn up lol. i would let her play with the back pack and when she gets it on i would make her take it off herself (if she is old enough!) and after she had to figure it out, you wouldnt have to anymore! i would also tell her that if the dolls clothes came off i would not be putting them back on, and the doll would either stay naked, or she would figure is out HERSELF! she is crying to get you to do it for her, let her cry a bit until she learns how to solve her own problems.
    Anonymous

• hmmmm,just throwing this out there but,my son did that stuff just before his autism diagnosis.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2010