Why don't you vaccinate your children?

I just cannot believe that this has become a trend when there is so much scientific evidence showing the benefits of vaccinations. It is so dangerous to not vaccinate, yet parents still think they know more than the doctors and scientists and refuse to protect their children from life threatening diseases. So, if you don't, WHY?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• And I think some parent who refuse vaccines have unrealistic expection of 100% perfect solution. Diseases are a problem, vaccines are a relatively good and safe solution. But some parents use the excuse that since the solution is not 100% safe and effective they won't do that. However, nothing is 100% safe and effective. Five-point harness car seats are not 100% safe and effective and there are some risks to using them - does that mean we shouldn't use them at all? Helmets are not 100% safe and effective and hundreds of thousands of children are injured while biking, skateboarding or paying baseball while wearing helments - does that mean helmets shouldn't be used? People are just naturally bad at risk-benefit analysis. Our brains are wired to see patterns - even where they don't exist. Not everyone makes medical decisions based on the available medical information.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• There is also so much scientific evidence that vaccines are dangerous. Many ailments you vaccinate for will not be caught even without vaccination, and if they are caught, they are treatable. Not all doctors think vaccines are safe.
    Anonymous

• Can't you just accept that not everyone does things like you do? I'm not going to list all the reasons, because this question has been asked several times before, and you can look it up and read all of the answers there. I personally think you are just trying to stir up something.
    Anonymous

• You aren't going to list the reasons because you don't have any legitimate ones, anon. There is no scientific evidence that vaccines are dangerous. Let me guess, they cause autism? Sorry, vaccines no longer thimerosal in vaccines other than the flu shot. Also, the diseases that you claim will not be caught without a vaccination may end up killing your child. The diseases that many think have been eradicated have not been so in other countries. All it takes is a plane trip, exposure.,.and bam! your child is infected. All of the diseases that doctors regularly vaccinate for are very much alive and being passed around in other countries.
    Anonymous

• It is not black or white – vax or don’t vax.
    I can't urge you strongly enough to do your own research!! Do not base your decision on opinions. Many people read the same information and have differing conclusions. Our conclusions were that the preservatives are toxic and the interaction between the vaccines can be dangerous; we also feel that teeny bodies can handle only so much intrusion at a time.
    We choose to selectively vaccinate on a delayed schedule. The first vax was after our daughter turned one. We never did more than one vax per office visist. We had the office order single dose, preservative free vaccines; we concluded that the additives to the vaccines and the interactions between the vaccines posed the greatest danger. We skipped flu, chicken pox, and a couple of others. We always read the insert before allowing the shot to be given.

Families that don't vaccinate do a lot more research than families that do...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• as of yet, none of my kids have ever had any medication either!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• more and more kids are getting vaccinated and more and more kids are diagnosed with stuff like asthma, ADD/ADHD sickle cell anemia. if you don't let your kids build their own immune system how are they going to fight a common cold anymore. also most vaccines don't show or report the bad effects for at least 5-10years later. like these girls getting the cervix cancer prevention shot. what's to say 10 years from now we have an out break in vaginal cancer cause by this. and what is up with then Dr pushing the chicken pox vaccine? I remember being sent to my friends house because they had the chicken pox. and by the way I haven't had any shots myself and I haven't had the flu, or cold in over 15 years.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Anon, you have made it more than obvious by your first reply that you want nothing more than to bash those who do not vaccinate. You don't care what the reasons are, or how much info is given to back others' decisions. You cannot accept that other people live differently than you do. I have stopped trying to educate people like you because it is pointless. You are closed-minded & CHOOSE not to open your mind to new thoughts & ideas.
    If you really want to learn something, you can join one of the many anti-vax groups on this site. Until then, think of something original to start drama about. The same crap over & over really gets old.

I sincerely hope that anyone else who considers replying to this post decides otherwise. This person has already shown their true colors.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I do not vaccinate my son anymore because his early vaccines nearly killed him & now he is a child with disabilities that I firmly believed could have been prevented b/c he was perfectly typical prior to his vaccinations - That a good enough reason for you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i think its ridiculous.. i support delayed vaxing, but absolutely cannot believe that a mother would want their child to be vulnerable to small pox, measles, mumps....
    it seems neglectful to me, and it makes me quite angry, really..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2010