bloody noses

My son who is 7 gets a lot of bloody noses. You ask how many? I honestly dont know. Its a year round thing and maybe 1-2 a month, sometimes more , sometimes less. So I will say average once a mointh at least. What causes this, is it anything to worry about?

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 7:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There's many things that can cause this, from something as simple as dry air to an actual medical problem. You might want to see a Dr. and rule out any medical problems.
    Anonymous

• I used to get bloody noses every day when I was a kid....my parents took me to the doctor and he impacted them after checking my nose....they eventually just went away.

(I get them every day now that I am pregnant too - but not worried about it now either)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Is his nose really dry inside? I would use a humidifier in his room and have him sit in the bathroom with steam for 10 minutes a day. Also, my oldest had a lot of bloody noses and it was because he would pick it because it itched due to dryness. I finally put a small amount of chapstick on a qtip and gently wipe it inside his nose. Never putting it in further than the fluffy part. If you put it in too far it will hurt him and damage his nasal passages.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i would try a humidifier in his room at night like pp said. i read in my manual for the humidifier for my furnace that most houses in the us, even in the summer are dryer than the air in the desert.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree with using a humidifier. I get them every so often, not bad, just when I blow my nose because it's really dry in my house. If they really bleed and you have trouble getting them to stop, I'd take him to the doctor or if the humidifier doesn't work.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• He might have an exposed vein in his nostril. IT can be fixed. Is he on any type of medication? This could cause it too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2010