how do u sleep?

When pregnant how are you suppose to sleep?? I hear alot about its bad to sleep on the right side..I know ur suppose to sleep on the left but that gets tiring after a while.

armywifeproud

Asked by armywifeproud at 8:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• whatever makes you comfy unless your doctor says otherwise. they say don't sleep on your back late in pregnancy because it restricts blood flow to the baby, they also say it's best to sleep on the left. but when i was pregnant i'd fall asleep on the left and wake up on my back or other side lol. it's fine just as long as you're comfortable.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• according to my midwife and my pregnancy books, it is best for circulation to make an effort to sleep on your left side. but if you are sleeping on your right side, and you feel comfortable, it's not a problem. if it started to be a problem with circulation and all, you would grow uncomfortable and roll in your sleep. i usually just do what feels comfortable. i was comfortable on my belly until about 16 weeks, and my midwife said that was fine. i am not comfy on my back for long periods of time, and i know it's also not good to lay on your back for a long time, so that's fine. i do toss and turn all night long from one side to the other.
    Anonymous

• I have to switch sides a few times throughout the night. The hip that I'm laying on will go numb.
    Anonymous

• During my emt/firefighter training they always taught us to put a pregnant women on her left side, but my doc said the right or left was fine. Just being on your back for long periods of time can put pressure on your vessels and arteries, I'm a back sleeper so I was discouraged by this, but the nurse told me I would start to fill uncomfortable light headiness and all. Now, when I lay on my back my baby doesn't like it too much cause that's when she starts kicking up a storm, so pretty much I think your body will let you know, I'm learning along the way too and that's what it's come down to for me.
    blueangel916

Answer by blueangel916 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2010