breaking the co sleeping habit!

how can i break my 9 month old from co sleeping with us? she sleeps really well when we lay with her...the second we put her in her crib she wakes up, or she will sleep for 2 hours and wake up to eat. she is now formula fed, and wakes about 2 times a night to eat.
ps im not comfortable with letting her cry it out. help pls! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• should of thought about this before she is this age your just going to have to let her fall asleep and put her in there and continue to do that untill she stays there
    Anonymous

• What about positive associations? Right now she associates you and sleep. How about reading before sleeping, or a gentle backrub while falling asleep? Then you can slowly remove yourself from the equation-- maybe one night read in her room and lay her in her crib while rubbing her back until she falls asleep.

I would't worry too much-- I know of very few 20 year olds who still sleep with their parents. If they do... well.. there are other issues at play, I'm sure. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Get up and feed her and put her back in her crib if you want her to stay there. Or, continue co-sleeping and she will outgrow the need in her own time. Your choice.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• She is in a growth spurt. It is normal, cosleeoing or not to night wake to eat. She's hungry. Nine months is also a time for teething and major milestones. ALL babies will wake.

Remember too that babies have shorter sleep cycles than adults do. If you are going to put her down some place be sure that she is in Deep sleep. Look for limp limbs, relaxed face, and steady breathing. Otherwise she will wake from light sleep just like any adult would if they were disturbed when in their light sleep cycle.

What is the reason you have decided to change cosleeping if she is sleeping well and you are getting sleep too? Is it space? Or other people saying its a bad habit? I personally don't understand how adults can openly enjoy sleeping with their spouse and probably don't sleep well alone, and find it a bad habit for babies to enjoy the same! Babies are babies for only a short time!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My baby has always slept with us. When he was 4 months old I waited till he feel asleep, laid him down in our bed and then waited about 30 mins to try to put him in his bassinet that was by our bed. It worked and when he woke during the night I'd give him a paci and he would sleep about 8 hours. That lasted for about 3 months. For some reason he stopped sleeping on his own and now he's back in our bed. He stopped using the paci, too. He still wakes up at night and I breastfeed him so it's a lot easier. I LOVE that we get to snuggle at night and I know he loves it too. So for now we will co-sleep. In a few months I'll try to move him again and if he sleep alone then fine if not that's ok too. Co-sleeping is a form of bonding, so don't let anybody tell you you're wrong for doing it. They will only be babies and little for so long so enjoy it while it lasts!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• **heavy sigh** to the first couple of responders.

OP...head to drjaygordon.com. Search the site for "sleep." GREAT ARTICLE on how to accomplish your goal. Be aware that he doesn't recommend it till one year. Also be aware that moving baby doesn't always mean they'll sleep better.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010