car seat questions

when can i switch my baby from the standart infant car seat that they use from newborn to 12 months ? at 12 months do we really purchase a different one and face it frontwards?? right now we use graco quattro stroller /car seat system. what should we get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You get a seat that can convert and and use it for as long as you can. You don't have to wait until they are 12 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• You can get a convertible car seat that can face both forward and backwards any time. You want to keep baby rear facing until 2 yrs old (the old guidelines were 1 yr and at least 20 pounds). I love my Britax Marathon because it fits up to 65 pounds. I like to keep my kids in a 5 point harness as long as possible!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• The next step would be a convertible seat... a seat that both rear faces and later forward faces. You want to stay away from any seat that says they are a 3 in 1 seat (that converts to a booster) it seems like a good idea... but the seats are junk and you end up wasting more money.
    I would pick one of these 2 seats....
    If your baby tends to be shorter and chunky the Graco MyRide 65... it rear faces to 40 lbs and forward faces to 65 lbs
    or if you have a taller skinny baby then the First Years True Fit would be a better choice, it has a taller shell, rear faces to 35 lbs and forward faces to 65 lbs.
    There are other good seats on the market as well..... Cosco Scenera, Evenflo Triumph Advance, and of the Britax seats and Sunshine kids Radian convertibles.... but the top 2 are the best middle priced ranged seats.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Please join this group.... http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• You can switch to a convertible, RF, at any point. You NEED to move out of the infant seat when they reach the weight limit or have less then 1 inch of hard shell above the head. It's recommended to remain rear facing past the legal minimum of 12 mos and 20 lbs. I recommend at least 2 yrs and 30 lbs, but it's even safer to RF to the maximum limit of the convertible seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2010