Can you use laundry detergent to steam clean your carpets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No it will leave a residue and harden in the carpet making it sticky and gross feeling.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't recommend it in a rented cleaner, usually they have their own that works best with their machines. I have a Bissell steam cleaner and a friend gave me this "recipe": Take an empty 100 oz. bottle of Tide. Add 1 capful Tide detergent, 1/4 capful of Downy fabric softener, and 1/4 capful of bleach. Fill the rest of the way with water. Fill the detergent dispenser of the steam cleaner with the mixture. TEST ON AN UNSEEN AREA OF CARPET FIRST!!! It's always worked fine with mine, and since the Bissell also has a rinse cycle I will use that after the detergent. I've never had problems with stiff or sticky carpets, probably because I rinse and suction it well to remove soap residue.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I have Tide to tell you the truth. I thought it worked well. I only did it because I knew siomeone who had a carpet cleaning business and thats what they used.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Also, I saw it on how clean is your house. They used laundry detergent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I use the carpet cleaner I'm supposed to use with my machine, and the carpet is crunchy when it's dry. Even when I use less cleaner then it says. IDK why. Are you supposed to rinse, too? I thought you didn't have to.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No. I know my hoover steam cleaner says not to use anything that causes a lot of suds or it can cause the machine to leak and not work as good. Which I have found out is true. My last steam cleaner I use, pinesol, tide, gain, all kinds of stuff in it and after about 5 months it barely sucked up. Someone else I know does the same and her machine leaks like crazy! I only use carpet cleaner in my hoover and haven't had problems in the last 4 months I've had it and I use it at least once a month.
    dkaam05

Answer by dkaam05 at 1:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I used to use the Bissel cleaner for my machine, but now (I know this is going to sound weird) I use the Norwex Dishwashing Soap. You dilute it with water, it gets stains out with no effort, no need to rinse, and the result is nice clean, soft carpets without the nasty chemicals in the other cleaners.

CynCity1985

Answer by CynCity1985 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yes. Fill the laundry soap to line one and a little
    liquid fabric softner and the rest with water in your
    soap dispenser. Is doesn't make your carpet siff or
    crunchy. Just be sure yo rinse it.
    Mycutelittleboy

Answer by Mycutelittleboy at 6:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2013