Was jesus a liberal?

Everything Jesus taught was based on the old testament. He would have condemned homosexuality, and sex was to be between a man and a woman AFTER marriage.
He was a peacemaker but not a pacifist. He ordered his followers to buy swords. He ordered the death penalty on an unjust servant. Luke 19:12-27
Jesus has a home large enough to house guests He had a donor base of people who "ministered to Him of their substance (Luke 8: 2-3)." He had a treasurer, Judas (John 12:6; 13:29), which would indicate that His ministry handled large sums of money. Jesus wore a seamless robe, which was a very costly garment (John 19: 23-24), so costly that the soldiers who were crucifying Him chose to gamble for it rather than to divide it between them, which was their usual custom.
There are many things Jesus stood for that would not fall in line with modern liberal ideology.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Jesus did not judge he loved all people and embraced them all, so I don't think that you can really say how he was without taking into account his great love and generosity.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• If Jesus could love and befriend whores and thieves, I'm sure he would have loved gay people just as much.

All sins are equal. Unless your slate is completely clean, you have no right to judge. That's best left to God and his infinite wisdom.
    Anonymous

• He wasn't a liberal or a conservative. His only alliegence is to God.
    Anonymous

• Is ideology a new word you learned from google today? I think if Jesus had the choice of being either conservative or liberal, he would have been liberal and pro-choice.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• But He also told the rich to sell all they had to follow Him. He rebuked the powers of the time, the priests and the Pharisees. And He embraced those who were shunned.

A conservative, by definition, wants to conserve the status quo. Jesus was in no way interested in preseving the status quo of Judaism in His era; He wanted people to do better than that.

I don't think He will recognize EITHER ideology. I think He will have a very stern judgment for anyone who can't follow a simple order, "Love one another as I have loved you."

Answer by gdiamante at 9:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't know I wasn't there my time machine is broken! All we go by is heresy. Let me know next time he visits you what he says. By the way can you even prove he was real!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Jesus befriended these people (whores, tax-collector-thieves) and they repented of their sins. He did NOT condone their actions, but taught them to change them. Based on morals and such, I don't think Jesus would approve of today's liberals. I don't think he would approve of what America is today. Of course, we are in the end of times... getting closer all the time. I don't think he would be either one.
    Yes we are all sinners.. I am too. But there is a difference between a sinner who repents and tries sincerely not to sin and repeat sins committed, and a sinner who continues to sin regardless. Sure, God and jesus love everyone, but not their sins or their darkened hearts. Basically, if a person doesn't love God when it comes to the end, He will cast them aside to hell.
    Love one another doesn't mean ignoring sin and tolerating it, it means treat them with love and respect, and try to bring them to Christ and God.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Obama believes marriage is one man and one woman. So do most elected Dems. It's not really a liberal value, but people think it is because they assume if one party doesn't agree with something, the other one does by default.
    Anonymous

• You are giving YOUR interpretation of Jesus

I prefer to think he would tell both parties to shove it up their asses

and form a BETTER party

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Jesus had major issues with the Pharisees and religious leaders - more than He did with the average sinner. He had nothing to do with the politics of things, and I think He would have quite a problem with either side using His words to further their agendas.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010