A sermon or repentance or damnation

Have you heard a sermon at all or recently that spoke of us coming out of sin and wasn't all sunshine and rainbows about God's love and grace for us? That the preacher had the balls to say hey you're all sinners and God hates sinners? Something along those lines.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 9:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• not recently..no offense to anyone in particular, but for the last year and a half, i've attended services at a presbyterian church..haven't heard anything on the harsh reality of sin at all. its been fairly rose-colored glasses type of sermons. not at all what i grew up with (fundamental baptists). but sin, and the consequences of unrepentent sin, still remains quite serious.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Not recently... but we do "series" sermons... and right now ours is fear. I mean I guess the last one was about how we should be ready for heaven, that we can't just wait til we are on our death beds... who knows when we will die? You better be prepared or else you are SOL (i know i know...). It makes me mad when people think being a "good person" is enough to be happy forever, including after death. UG! I don't think the whole fire and brimstone thing is accurate, but people need to be taught that they need to obey God and accept Jesus or they are going to hell! I don't think it needs to be taught every Sunday, or every month, but it does need to be said and taught. GOD HATES SIN! People who don't repent of it are screwed :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I haven't heard any local preaching that has been with fervancy but I read David Wilkerson's newsletters which are not fluff. I get what you're saying..I think the most frustrating is actually not hearing messages that the Holy Spirit has spoke to the pastor to say..these days alot of sermons are like pep talks instead really getting into the nooks of peoples hearts, bringing people into the presence of God. Charles Stanley he speaks good Word-based messages also.
    Anonymous

• Don't most Christians say that!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Does the Bible not say that God so LOVED THE WORLD, that HE GAVE HIS ONLY SON, Where in that scripture does it say that God hates sinners. From what I understand HE doesn't say HE HATES sinners, but that God hates sin. There is a BIG difference. Would it not be a contradiction, how can God LOVE the World, but hate sinners.  Those two don't go together.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 10:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Not in my church will you ever hear that. you should listen to the podcasts rhanford.... I think it might help you have more of an understanding of God's grace! www.blazingfire.org Brent Lokker is the Pastor but we also have others preach... he doesnt run the show which I love!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• God does not hate sinners. So, no I have never heard this said where I worship. [God hates sin and hate those who deliberately defy him knowingly]
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 4:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2010