What is the best way to get my 15 month old off the bottle?

okay my dr said i need to get my 15 month old girl off the bottle by next month if possible..she drinks out of a sippy and those nuby cups and will even sip from a straw but when it comes time for nap or bedtime she wont have anything to do with them she just screams baba ba bababa!! and i always end up giving in...any advice?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cold turkey, take them all away, pack them up so you aren't even tempted. it might take a couple of days to a week, but she will understand that they aren't coming back and she won't starve or anything... our son was a bottle addict and we just packed them and 6 hours later he was all for the sippy and now it is his "safety blanket" which is ok by me.. for now. I guess he will have to stop eventually but he is well hydrated and happy! she won't stay up all night... she will eventually fall asleep. good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Just don't give it to her, she will get over it in a few days to a week you have to be strong.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yup, unfortunately, just throw away all the bottle nipples so you don't have the chance to fall back on using it again. She'll cry and scream for a bit and then once she realizes UR not giving in, she'll give into the sippy cup when there's nothing else offered. ;)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• dont give it to her
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• DO NOT GIVE IN.....throw the bottles away!!!! i got rid of mine right before my daughter turned a year old. she never took bottles with her when she took naps or went to bed. she does not take a sippy cup to bed with her either. sleep time is not eating/drinking time. this may be part of the problem if she is use to it. but just not giving in should help.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I had to do the tough love a month ago. We just packed up all the bottles and offered her a sippy. It took about a week for her to not be mad as hell that she couldn't have a baba. Then she was over it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2010