Question for those who work outside the home 8+ hours a day.

How to do manage to get everything done at home? I work from 7:30-5:30 (with only one 30 minute break) M-F. I pick up my son at 5:45, come home, cook dinner, work on his homework with him, get him ready for bed, and then I crash myself. I might manage to clean up the kitchen and do a load of laundry. If not, then I do it first thing in the morning. But the rest of the house is a complete disaster. I have tried flylady.net, but I just don't have the time or energy. I try to get as much done on the weekend as possible, but most of the time, I would rather be spending it with my son. Any tips that worked for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• when you find out let me know. the only thing that I do is through in a load at night and dry it in the morning. we eat off paper plates and disposable flatware. I clean as I cook. I just try to organize my time by not walking into or out of a room without having something in my hand. like....if I'm in the living room and going toward the bedroom I take a couple of toy. eventually it becomes second nature. but i still feel like I need more hours added to the day to complete everything. my son tries to help too. somedays he is very helpful

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• UGH - I got off at 5, we got home at 7, I have school work, want to spend time with him, I am sick, house is a mess, he has school work, tonight we had bagle bites for dinner. I'm a bit mopey about the whole thing today.

So if you find a way to extend the hours in the day - please let me know.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Back in the day, I too, worked those hours, had two kids and a husband to take care of. When it comes to that, feeding them, cleaning the kitchen, baths, homework and bed is about all you have time for. I reserved Saturday for cleaning and Sunday as our "family" day. That was our lives for about 18 years.

I really wish I had those days back again....

sigh.....
    Anonymous

• just thought of this, I haven't done this for a while (I need a new food saver) but it may help you. I had a food saver vacuum sealer. on the weekend I would make a bunch on dinners and make up the plates (chicken, peas, pasta) vacuum seal then and freeze them. when you come home all you have to do is vent the seal and pop it in the microwave. presto a home cooked meal in three to five mins.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• LOL! I liked the way she slipped the advertisement in there for "flylady.net".

rolling on floor I think the whole post was geared towards an advertisement anyway!!

Of course, I had to check it out. It's really not anything I'd use to begin with. I have to laugh to think that someone would actually join a program on the internet to help them organize their routines and schedules for family time.

Anonymous

• Anon. 10:15, the only reason that I mentioned flylady was because I have asked a similar question a few months ago, and I had 10 responses about flylady.net. No, my post was not geared towards an advertisement. I work 10 hours a day and I need some fresh ideas on how to get things done in as little time as possible. I didn't want another 10 responses about flylady, so that is why I mentioned it.

Anonymous

• honestly I work 4 pm to 1 am and I am pregnant with 2 kids ages 3 and 2, because I work nights its a bit easier i guess some would say, but I get up with the kids at 9 or 10 am, we have breakfast, and clean up the house together bathtime play time while i do laundry then lunch and then nap time while i get ready for work then i get them up and ready and off to the sitter and work, its hard to get everything done, but learning to not beat myself up about the little things that dont get done
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I work 12 hour shifts, 2 days, 2 nights then have 4 days off. My twins are 18 months. I am still trying to find a way to get everything done around here....the housework is totally suffering and we're eating way too much take out. If you find any good tips, make sure you share then with me!!!!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Try to do meal prep/cooking on the weekends. Most nights, I have dinner on the table in 20 minutes. Send me a message offlist if you would like meal ideas.

If you can afford it, have someone do a deep cleaning every two or three weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• By the time I get home, it's 7 pm each night. I try to do some dishes if I can. Hubby cooks, so that helps. I give dd a bath and get her ready for bed. She likes to help with the dishes, (she's 2) so that helps some. THen on weekends I do the laundry, clean the floors, and kitchen. Once a month or so I give the bathrooms a good cleaning. I get DD to help pick up her toys before bed. It's really not too bad until tax season hits. Then I work late during the week and work on Sat. so it's harder to get things done. My house is a mess right now! Hubby helps some, but not a lot. He bitches that he can't get anything done when he has to watch DD. whaa whaa
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 2, 2010