Anyone else not like how States have different laws?

If every state can have their own set of laws, then how are we the United States of America? If one state votes to ban gay marriage and another doesn't, how is that being united? If one state makes it a law to ban cell phoneswhile driving and the others don't how is that being united?

IMO, laws should be the same across the board. You shouldn't get a new set when you cross the border into the next state over.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If every state can have their own set of laws, then how are we the United States of America? It is because Richard Henry Lee of Virginia had made the greatest proposal in the Congress on June 7, 1776, to declare that the United Colonies should be free and independent states. It is called the United states originally the United colonies, because It was about med becoming united to be free from tyranny. They did not name it the United States meaning by the same laws. The request for the states to be free independent states happened before the Constitution was ever drafted.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It makes no sense to me

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree to some point. I think in matters of safety...all states should have the same laws. Why is it unsafe to talk on the cell phone and drive in one state, but alright in the other? So for laws of that nature, I think it should be the same across the board. However with moral issues, such as gay marriage, I think it should be the state's decision. States have different morals. California for example is a much more liberal state than say, Kentucky. I think its the people's right to vote on those types of laws and whatever outcome is basically the majority moral tone for the state.
    Anonymous

• Because different states have different needs. What works for one won't work for another. Water rights, protected land, hunting, commerce, social laws.

States rights have long been debated. The Civil War is a clear indication that we all have our separate needs.
    Anonymous

• I still think people should have the right to vote, but that vote should count for the COUNTRY and not each individual STATE. Same laws, same funding, same taxes and then perhaps one state wouldn't fall behind another in education or employment or be more prosperous than another.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Besides the simple fact that is how our Constitution and Nation has been set up..... States are independent with their own governing bodies bound together by the US Constitution.

Plus~Seriously HOW can you possibly expect laws in New York, Illinois, California where the population is heavy to be the same as they would open/rural States like Oklahoma, Montana, and Texas???

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I understand that sometimes it's confusing when you're traveling; especially with differences in driving regulations.

But the simple differences in climate and land create very different needs in different geographical locations of our country.

For example, there would be absolutely no reason for the Seattle area to have the same water conservation laws that I grew up with in a drought-time in California.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I just don't get how each state having such radical differences in government policies and laws makes us united in any way. I think it has done nothing but separate us even more.

I guess this is why I've been accused of being a Socialist... huh?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I guess this is why I've been accused of being a Socialist... huh?

I'm gonna go with Yup! ;o) Posted this on the another question. Are you familar with the 10th Amendment?

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

So, are you saying we should do away with the 10th Amendment of the US Constitution?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No, not bothered. Each state has separate and individual needs-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2010