baby boy name-- blaise-- what do you think?

my husband really likes this name, but i'm iffy about it. it's pronounced "blaze" which worries me a little. in "urban culture/slang", blaze means to smoke marijuana. we're a young couple (early 20s) and i don't want people associating that with the name of our child or with us. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Honestly that's the first thing that came to my mind...was the slang for smoking pot. I wouldn't choose that name specifically for that reason.
    Anonymous

• Some friends of mine named their boy Blaize. The dad is an officer in the marines. I don't think of smoking a joint when I hear that name lol.. maybe if I was a pothead? I say go for it!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Seriously, I had no idea that's what it meant. But, now that I know, I certainly would not name my child that. Besides, it kind of sounds to "south western" to me.
    Anonymous

• I think of Blazin' sun..on a hot day...lol I dont know why...i dont think it is a bad name...but I also have to agree with the person who said it sounds south western...it does to me too...but I also like south west things.....

If you are not sure about it keep thinking of names...even if you husband does...it should be a name both of you agree on....if I went with my husband..our daughters middle name would by Oyl..lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I really don't think it should matter what the name is associated with if you like it! I like the name Cylar (Spelled Sylar in the tv show, Heroes) But others don't like the name because they associate it with the bad guy on the show.....so what? who cares? tee hee I hate plain names like Joe, Jim, Bob. Jake, Larry.....ew Go for the name you like, especially since it is unique!

I mean, unless the name is something like "Douche" - I don't think you should care......I mean, people name their kids BJ for gosh sake.....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• We have a dog named Blaze, so I am not a fan of it for a baby. But I empathize with you....picking a boys name is hard! Good luck!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I didn't know that it meant that either. The first thing that I thought of was a cute little boy that I had in a daycare that I worked with. If you like the name, then use it.
    Anonymous

• First thing that came to mind was a dog sorry ,
    Anonymous

• first thing that came to my mind was dodgeball...the movie was funny, but i wouldn't use it as a baby naming guide. i think you should compromise with something like blake.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• honestly i did NOT think of that when I first saw the name. I love the name.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010