Fitness ball helping baby settle into place for delivery?

My midwife suggested I start using my fitness ball to settle the baby into place and help speed up the delivery process (I'm 37 wks, btw.) I'm just wondering what exactly do I do on the ball? Rotate my hips? Move back and forth? I dunno! Help??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You jest bounce on the ball gently, rock back and forth, rotate your hips.

The ball is soft so unlike a chair it allows your hips to spread and the baby to get into the correct position. Squats will also help bring the baby down and can help the cervix begin to dilate from the pressure. My midwife recommended both of those to me.
    Anonymous

• The Fittness Ball can facilitate position changes and be used as a comfort tool for women in labor. A woman can sit on it and rock or lightly bounce to decrease perineal pressure. She can also lean over the ball, allowing the baby to hang down, in order to decrease any back pain or back labor.
    Ossom

Answer by Ossom at 1:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010