Calling all sewing mommies!

I want to get my first sewing machine. The purposes of said machine will be to make myself and my children clothing, as well as making baby items (blankets, diaper bags, totes, etc). I need recommendations, please. I don't want to spend an outlandish amount, but I do need to be able to sew denim. Thanks!

EvaSerenity

Asked by EvaSerenity at 11:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you need to sew denim then you will have to layout a fair amount of cash. Most machines will handle two layers of denim from time to time with no big issues. The problem you will find is a machine with enough range to work on fine baby fabrics and knits or jerseys AND denim will be a higher end machine.I have two machines One is an ancient Singer that my grandmother gave me that sews through anything..it's kind of like a Timex..lol. Then I have another that is a Bernina. It was pricey but worth it. My sister uses her serger for almost everything. It was quite a bit of money but she can go from denim to silk and it never even hiccups.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Do you know the price range for any of them, and where I would buy them? Thank you!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 12:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I think the cheapest serger I've ever found was about $230 and they can go up over a thousand for all the fancy bells and whistles. My Mom and my sister both paid about 400 for theirs. Average, no frills sewing machine you should be able to find for just a little over 100 bucks....and they go from there. If you have no experience at all a good place for you might be a Sewing center (a store that only sells and repairs machine) Often times they offer beginning classes with a purchase or for a nominal fee. If found this link I thought you might like to read before you go looking.

http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmachineindex/bb/buymachine.htm

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Thanks a lot! I will check that out. I am new to this, lol, but I have always wanted to make my own clothes!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 1:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Wow you are going to be one crafty busy mama! If you are serious into buying a good one, be aware of brands that have parts that are plastic and parts that are metal. Metal is usually the most durable but more costly machines. GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Been a sewing fan for 50 years; started when I was 6.  Gone through severala machines.  Best advice is to go to all the sewing machine stores with samples of the fabrics you want to use.  Play on the machines that are in your budget.  Stay away from plastic parts called cams.  They break easy and are expensive to replace.  Realize that denim and twills need heavier needles in the machine, size 16.  Singers and Brothers from Wal-mart is NOT your best idea.  Bernina has one for about $250, Janome has one for about $250.  Paff and Viking are also good machines.  Don't go computerized and pricey unless you are going to add a lot of fancy embroidery on your items.  Sewing is a blast!

Cheryl-Ann

Answer by Cheryl-Ann at 3:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• my sewing machine was a $60 one from walmart years ago. Works perfectly fine for all my sewing needs still! (Singer)

my serger was like $100, also from walmart. (Brother)

you don't NEED a serger though. you can either do french seams or zig zag over edges. So just start with a basic sewing machine
    Anonymous

• My sewing machine is a Singer. No clue what my parents paid for it (probably a couple hundred dollars) and it's over 25 years old and works just fine. I've had it since my mom died in 2000 and I've never had any problems with it although I still can't seem to get the tension right on it. I only ever sew Halloween costumes and quilts so it doesn't bother me much.
    Making clothes isn't cheap. I spend more money making Halloween costumes then if I just bought them from the store (and I used the cheapest material I can find) but I like the look of homemade.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I use a Kenmore that I picked up at a garage sale for $15. The older metal machines are the best. They will sew through anything as long as you use the correct needle & keep it oiled.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2010