I accidently didnt file one of my w-2's what should I do?

The company I was working for last year got bought out about a month before I left. I recived a w-2 from the first company and didn't know I was getting a second w-2 from the company that bought them out, stupid I know but it just slipped my mind. my wages on the second w-2 that I did not file were 1573.00 so they only took out about 170 . Will the IRS put a hold on my refund or can I just claim it next year.I am scared of the IRS.PLease help.I want to do the right thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• i think you can claim it next year, or you can do a 1040X. only thing with that is you can't do it online, you have to do it via snail mail. GL
    Anonymous

• Just file an amended return. it's no big deal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Just do an amended. It's a form 1040X. Complete the return again with the new info. The 1040X will show "as filed" and then the new numbers and the difference. Then attached the new return (write "as amended" on it) and attach the old (write "as filed" on it) and send in the package to the IRS with the new W-2 and payment if applicable. If overpaid, or you already paid, you'll get the $170 back. The IRS really isn't out to get people for making mistakes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2010