Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my boyfriends claim my daughter?

I am currently in nursing school and I am also on welfare and I do not work. (I'll just thank anyone who wants to bash me for being on welfare now!!) My boyfriend is not on my case with the Job and Family Services. They know that I live in his house and he works out of town. They also know that I do not pay rent or utilities, that he pays all of that. So could he claim my daughter since he is the one providing for her except food. I get like $293 a month in child support, but her biological father doesn't file his taxes and he has no contact with her. I am just wondering I am having a hard time getting through these last few months of school, my car wont start and it is costing me a fortune to drive his truck to school (he has a work vehicle he takes out of town). I drive and hour and 15 minutes to school one way three times a week so it is rough. The extra money to get us through my last semester would help a lot.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • Honestly, when I first read this, I was thinking, how many boyfriends does this girl have (see the s after boyfriend). LOL. But after reading this, I understand the problem. I thin khe CAN claim both you and your dd on his taxes if you are living in his home and not paying any rent. But if you want to be sure, call a tax preparer and ask, even a CPA should answer.

    Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • I don't think you can if he is not on your casefile or whatever it's called. Just be careful.

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • i dunno bout where u are, but in nc when i filed my taxes then didnt ask anything about being on assistance, i am on assistance, and my sons father filed him this year and it wasnt a problem. so i dont see why that would make a difference.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • Your boyfriend can claim you and your baby as head of house hold ...simply because he is the MAN OF THE HOUSE he is able to claim both of you.... Im in the same boat... My taxes are already filed :) Goodluck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • We just dont want to get in trouble, I dont want to do it if we aren't supposed to!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Best bet, call a nearby tax place (H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, etc...) and ask. They will be able to give you a definite answer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Yes it is perfectly legal since he is the one supporting you and your child and you are all living in his home.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Some states will see you two as "married" (common law) if he files you as dependents. Why are you not filing taxes? You dont have to make money to file. But I would call somewhere and ask just to be safe. Doesnt the IRS site explain any of this?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • have you lived there over 6 months with him providing the majority of the support?

    Answer by sati769leigh at 1:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

  • Yes, he can.

    Answer by Itsonono at 1:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2010