How can I get my almost 5 year old to go potty?

My son is 4 almost 5 (in July) n will absoutely NOT go 2 the bathrm. He is curntly in head start n I assume that he is going there - I havnt hrd otherwise. But 4 some reason he wont go @ home. We do hve another child in the home n he is 2 - almost 3 (In July). I kno wat u r thinking...younger sibling so he is reverting back 2 a "bby". Well I really dont think this is the case cuz my 2 yr old is nearly fully potty trained!! He only needs protection at nite n wears underwear thru the day.
Iv done everything that I can think of n nothing has worked @ ALL. Im REALLY getting rather frustr8d w/this. Here is everything Iv tried n I will let u make other sugestions: I bought a musical potty chair (that HE picked out himself), Iv bought SEVERAL character underwear that he likes (I now have like a TON - lol). Iv tried incentives, bribes, praise, nothing, scolding, talking, movies, music, singing..nothing has worked I NEED HELP PLEASE!

faerie_princess

Asked by faerie_princess at 12:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• SPANK HIM! I am not someone that would usually promote spanking during potty training, but your kid needs one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• As much as I hate to say this I have...I dont like to do this cuz nothing gets solved this way. He attends Bi- county and is on adhd medication and this specific school says that he is at a 2 1/2 year old level (almost 3). Im not too sure if this matters any but idk...Im completely out of options!!

but fyi....spanking didnt help either.
    faerie_princess

Answer by faerie_princess at 12:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If he is at a 2 1/2 year old level, he probably isn't ready. I would ask his teachers at school to see what they are experiencing with him going potty. If he does it there, he is just being stubborn at home. If he isn't doing it there, then he is probably not ready and you should wait a few more months.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If he is almost 5 then I would take away TV and games untill he can go in the big potty. I would make him work for getting his big boy privliges back. I would have him use the big potty and not a lil potty.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Thanks for your answers...We dont have a TV persay....we dont have cable so he only gets to watch movies. However I have grounded him from certain things - video games, computer, and even the movies.....it dont seem to phase him that much. I have talked to the teachers and he IS going at school....that's what frustrates me the most....he is going at school, but not at home. Another thing that I dont understand is that my 2 1/2 year old IS practially fully potty trained. He wears undies ALL day with no accidents and only wears a diaper/pull-up at night. There are times that he is dry in the AM and he runs his lil tooshie to the bathroom to go - but the 4 year old will sit in it; it seems to not bother him that he is all wet or even soiled.
    faerie_princess

Answer by faerie_princess at 4:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• 1) how can you NOT know what is going on at headstart? seriosuly? you need to talk to the teacher and ffind out for sure what is going on.
    2)spanking a child concerning potty training only teaches to fear it wont POTTY train your child
    3)he is in head start, does he have any special needs? kids who are delayed in one way can be delayed in potty trainging as well.
    4)children are NOT peas in pods. the more you stres on this and stress HIM, the LESS likely it is to happen. you dont see 30 year old men running around in diapers!! right?
    so he will get this. but in his own time. you need to chill a bit momma.
    in the meanwhile i also suggest making sure with his pediatrician that there are no physical reasons he is not potty trained.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• good old Anon number one, what are you 16 and giving parenting advice? since when does ANYONE in thier right mind SPANK a 4 year old due to potty training. that is just nuts.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• you ground him op? 4 year old? seriously? he doesnt have the capacity to link being GROUNDED with potty trainingl
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Just take the diapers away. Cold turkey. He probably pee an poop on every surface of your house but trust me after he has wet, poopy pants a few times he will WANT to go on the potty. That's basically what I did with my 2.5 yr old (I used the 3 Day Potty Training Method) and by day 3 he was potty trained. He is 3.5 now and rarely has an accident and when he does it's usually a nighttime one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• just a reminder. kids are NOT peas in pods. what works for one wont work for another. just a thought.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2010