Is degenerative disk disease hereditary?

My mom and my grandma had it, now my sister does. Anyone know anything about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Health

• My Mom has it and she called me when she was diagnosed. Her Dr. told her she should tell all her children , esp. the girls to make sure their Dr's know. At that time they just believed it might be. Now that know it definitely can be. JUst because your Mom has doesn't mean you will have it, just that your risk ratio is much higher for it. When I turn 45 the xrays began showing the very early signs. It takes years and years to develope.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• it is hereditary, but it's not guaranteed that you will inherit it. my mom has it, and i have signs at the ripe old age of 23.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• what are the symptoms?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• yes and no. it is hereditary, but you do not have to inherit it to get it. you can get DDD from motor vehicle accidents, sports injuries, and injuries that heal improperly.

the symptoms will vary with the degree and how old you are, when it started and how mobile you already are or physically fit.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2010