How can the father be more involved with the pregnancy?

I wish I knew of a way to help my husband get involved in the pregnancy and birth of our child. I don't want it all to be about me and my pregnancy, and he would like to contribute more also. I feel it takes both half's to conceive and raise the child, so why is the father left out of one of the major parts of having a child?

Already we are having a home birth with a midwife, which I feel helps get him involved. I just want to know what else we/he can do to pull him into the process.

Ossom

Asked by Ossom at 12:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• maybe you can take a class on natural childbirth together. He should be there to help with your cravings and assist you with feet/back/neck rubs. And you guys could take a vacation together, just you and him, to reconnect as a couple... it doesnt have to be anything fancy if your budget is tight... maybe a weekend in a different town or go for a walk together. Exercising together is also a great idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I had wondered the same question when I was preggo. It was really hard because two months before I went into labour his job turned into having to travel. He worked all the time so I didnt have to..He was there emotionally. It didnt really bother me that there wasnt much he could do but be there emotionally and listen to me about things concerning the baby and delivery, etc, but in the long run, that is all I needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• have him talking to the baby every night.. reading stories and what not so the baby will learn his voice... of course his job is to keep you happy and comfortable.. with the cravings and pain and .. massages help... also i recommend spending as much naked time together as you can... lol not even just the sex but like cooking dinner naked if you can get away with it or doing the things that you'll miss out on once the baby is born.. even if you won't miss out on it for ever it might be a while until your able to do stuff just the two of you again..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• lamaz classes, doc appts. rub tummy butter on your belly, cut the umbilical cord, theres lots of stuff he can do.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 10:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2010