Wanting to buy a new carseat. Need Advice/Suggestions

I want to buy my daughter a new carseat. Right now we're using a hand-me-down from my MIL, but i want to get a new one and just use that as back up. I'm not sure which ones to check out though. I would like one that has a high weight limit, but would like to keep it around the $150 price range. I've heard that the 3-in-1's aren't that great.

Any suggestions I could look at?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have the Graco Nautilus. It's fantastic!. Harness up to 65lbs and booster up to 100lbs. This is the link to walmart, its the first car seat.  Check out the ratings and customer reviews.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=5427&ic=48_0&search_query=car+seat&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• we have an evenflo triumph avdance that is around 130 and goes up to 50lbs and a britax marathon that goes to 65lbs but is around 280.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Titan-Elite-Convertible-Car-Seat-Venice/12960872
    I think this is the same car seat we have.. the colors look a little different... Our daughter loves this car seat and its so easy to get her in and out of it.. she's 1 and loves sitting forward.. i like that she'll be able to use it for a long time..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i have the graco nautilus, and love it..my son loves it too.. he is bigger than avg for his age, and some seats didn't give him enough space, this one gives him lots of space, and makes car rides happier.. it's worth the month, and i'll purchase one for the next kid we have when they are 1 as well.
    JaelynS

Answer by JaelynS at 2:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I agree with the Graco Nautilus. We have one for DS. He is about 44" and 42 lbs. He fits in it great with plenty of room to grow. He loves it and tells me how comfy it is. I love the 65lbs 5-pt harness and the way the head rest sort wraps around the sides of his head. He likes the 'secret compartments' to hide his toys. It has two steel rods in the back to reinforce it. After 65lbs it can be used as a high back booster up to 100 lbs. The head rest comes off and then the back leaving just the booster as the child grows. They have them at Babies R Us and Walmart. I personally think they are a great seat for that price range.

Best of luck in finding the car seat that works for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Well, first, how old is your dd? How much does she weigh, how tall is she? Is she rear facing (AAP now recommending it until at least 2). A Nautilus is great, but if your kid could be rear faced, that would be safer. If she can't, then a Nautilus is pretty sweet.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• we have the true fit and love it!! only thing is if you have a smallish car it won't fit rear facing well with the head rest attached (will forward facing and without the head rest)
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 9:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Hi, How old is your little one? Its SAFEST to rear face until ATLEAST 2 years and 35lbs. There are awesome seats on the market that rear face to 40/45 lbs. I think the Graco MyRide 65 is a great choice. It rear faces to 40lbs then forward faces in a 5pt harness until 65lbs!!!and its only runs about $150, you could probably find it on sale cheaper though! You are right, 3 in 1's pretty much suck. They are cheaply made for the most part. They are all looks, thats is what you pay for, but the safety aspects arent as great. if you can spend a little more, Britax or Sunshine Kids is the way to go! But those are over $200....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I can't really make a recommendation until I know her age and weight as well. For RF, I like the TrueFit, and for FF, I like the Nautilus, but can get more specific with you if you give the information.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• OP here. I should have given more information. My daughter is 15 months, only weighs between 22-25 lbs, I have a 2-door car so it's kinda small. Hubby has a four door but until i learn to drive a stick shift, i'm stuck with my little car. DD likes riding FF even though I know it's safer to ERF. Once I learn to drive hubby's car, i'll be driving his and he'll have mine so a seat that ERF is preferable. Really, I just want one thats safe, well made, and has a high weight limit. I'd like to be able to use it as long as possible since I want her in a seat/booster until at least four yrs old. Longer if possible. I want her to be comfortable too. Thats a big plus as well. Babies aren't happy unless they're comfy. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2010