I am about to murder some dogs!!!!

Ok, so I am not actually going to murder then but I am really pissed off! We have a min pin (7 years) and a 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 tea cup pomeranian (10 months) and both of them are girls. We just got the 10 month old a couple of months ago and she does puppy things like getting into trash and such but now the min pin has suddenly started chewing on things. We have had her for about 3 years and she has never done that before. They have chewed and torn 3 of my comforters in the last month. They shred them and pull out the stuffing. I have many rawhide bones and treats for them to chew on. I just don't understand this or how to make it stop. Has anyone else been threw this? Any suggestions????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Pets

• The pup is the one who is starting it and the older dog is joining the fun.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Going from recent experience. I have heard of things like this happening. More than likely the one instigating the shredding is the one who lived with you the longest. Its a way of showing you they are unhappy. Animals are like kids, when you change their environment they will act out. Chewing on things is one of the major signs of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Sound slike she does not like the puppy
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My Chi is 10 months old and she used to do this when she was teething, now she only does it if I leave the house and she isnt in her crate, tonight we forgot to crate her and we were gone to dinner i came home to what looked like the after math of a puppy party.

My other two dogs who had been broken of this habit have also started joining in, if i am home they wont do it. I would start crate training, if you think you can trust the older one then try crating only the puppy and see what happens. I also close doors to any rooms they seem to like to destroy like the bathroom and bedrooms.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• spank em
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• There is a disease that older dogs can get that is like Atzheimers in people. One thing that happens is they start doing things that a puppy would do. It is called cognitive Dysfuntion disorder and there is meidcation that helps. I would talk to your vet about it. My Golden had it and the medicine made a huge differance. I would get rid of the rawhides because those can cause some major issues and get toys that they can't destroy easily. You might even consider getting crates at the very least for the younger dog until she has grown out of the crewing stage.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Crate training and more exercise. A tired dog is a good dog. It used to be a lone dog and now they are a pack. They are going to work together to have more fun.

They need more exercise and to be crated when you can't be in the room with them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2010