can adultery be more than sex with another person?

I was having a discussion with a person that said you can neglect your spouse by dedicating too much time for television, drinking with your friends or playing on the internet. Basically if you spend time doing something that hurts your family you are cheating on your spouse.

anyone agree with this? I find this might be a sin but adultery? not sure I can buy that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont see it as adultery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Ppl often see things like that as a form...my parents who are very religious (not BASHING) took everything to the extreme, I love them dearly & am blessed. But they would say the same because it's neglecting & a "form" of cheating because video games, friends, drinkng etc is taking time away from your partner I see it as to each his own, if you love someone, you will care when they feel neglected and want to correct the error you've made by making them feel that way. But to take it to the extent of that being adultery? No, but I see what ppl mean, it can perhaps LEAD to that, if that behavior continue, it snowballs and could lead to...him finding a female in his group of friends to 'befriend"...they talk for hours, they text, the meet up for coffee yet they aren't sleeping together...eventually it could lead to that. And I myself would feel sad, if my hubby was spending more time with another female in any kind of way then me.
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I dont see it as that at all .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• adultery usually means some time of emotional or sexual bond , not sure most folks have that with thier computer ....err. ok. maybe they do.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Its defiantly not adultery unless they're spending time with another lady or something.. but it does ruin a family when those types of addictions take over
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It may be behaviour that is damaging to the relationship, but I don't see it as adultery.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If your spouse cares more about something (other than god) than you, I see it as such. If he would rather gamble than save your marriage-adultery. He is putting all his energy and emotions toward something else. Whether it is a person or activity. It isn't actually cheating, but this is how I see it. If you make money or possessions or even your kids etc before GOD, then you are technically idolizing something, which is idolatry (another "god" above God). In such, i feel the same goes for a marriage. Therefore, if a woman leaves her husband or vice versa for say, an addiction they won't get over, then they will be forgiven. jmho
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No, dont consider that adultery.

Emotionally giving your all or your most to someone other than your spouse I would though but not watching tv or doing internet,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2010