Full body cradle cap???

My daughter has 'cradle cap' - I think. It's on her arms, her skin looks sort of scaly and very dry. It doesnt seem to be bothering her, but I really dont want it to get any worse. I think it's probably caused by the dry winter air. I use baby lotion and oil daily, but it doesnt seem to be working. Is there something that works better (hubby and I are going to Babies R Us tomorrow morning, Id like to know what to buy), or should I maybe use an ointment for cradle cap on her arms too? What's up with her skin, and how do I fix it?

Jessica_Esqueda

Asked by Jessica_Esqueda at 1:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has eczema...looks like dry skin but its worse then that. We were told to wash her every day with unscented soap like dove & to put mineral oil in the bath water. wash her clothes in unscented detergent & unscented fabric softener. Have to put Eucerine cream on her every day. Dont use any scented lotions. Also recommended using Vasaline Petroleum Jelly but its pretty messy so we are using the Eucerine & its helping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Just wash her with a washcloth or talk to the doctor. I have never seen cradle cap needing oitment, people just use it. It's very easy to just clean the skin and remove it than to lather up creams after creams when that isn't solving the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Ive been using so many oils and creams on her arms though. They look so dry and rough. And Ive always had trouble with my skin, so I dont want to let it get worse if I can help it. Are there mositurizers that work better for this? Its not gone away in a week, or improved at all.
    Jessica_Esqueda

Answer by Jessica_Esqueda at 1:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I have insanely sensitive skin, and a wash cloth has always worked well for me. AVOID scented lotions and stuff. That will irritate it. I don't care if they are for a baby or not, fragrances and scents can wait until baby is older. Little dry skin is nothing to worry about. Clean properly and you're good.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Why have you been using numerous products? That is just asking for skin irritation. Ever consider she might be allergic to one or more of those products?

Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• For infants with cradle cap:
    # Massage your baby's scalp gently with your fingers or a soft brush to loosen the scales and improve scalp circulation.
    # Give your child daily, gentle shampoos with a mild soap while scales are present. After scales have disappeared, you may reduce shampoos to twice weekly.
    # Be sure to rinse off all soap.
    # Brush your child's hair with a clean, soft brush after each shampoo and several times during the day.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• # If scales do not easily loosen and wash off, apply some mineral oil to the baby's scalp and wrap warm, wet cloths around his head for up to an hour before shampooing. Then, shampoo as directed above. Remember that your baby loses a lot of heat through his scalp. If you use warm, wet cloths with the mineral oil, check frequently to be sure that the cloths have not become cold. Cold, wet cloths could drastically reduce your baby's temperature.
    # If the scales continue to be a problem or concern, or if you child seems uncomfortable or scratches his scalp, contact your physician. He may prescribe a cream or lotion to apply to your baby's scalp several times a day.
    Itsonono