2 year old son penis has a tear

there was a misunderstanding between me and my husband. my son was doing well during potty training and he told me to stop wiping him after he went pee and i thought he meant not to pull the skin back as well. I hadn't done it in about three months then the other day he said it was hot when he went pee and it hurt and he cried he hasn't done it in about a day, but i started cleaning under the skin again and just today i found this tear in his skin and i think maybe thats why he was hurting. i scheduled an appointment w/ doctor the day before i found it. he's not circ. and i don't know where the tear came from. I'm worried sick and scared. i feel terrible and im wondering if maybe i might have caught him in his zipper and maybe his undies were twisted sideways and he was out. will he need to be circ. will it hurt him? will insurance cover it? what do i do? please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will be okay things happen. If you have insurace they should cover it
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• no he wont need to be circ.. it will heal on its own and his dr might give him meds to ward off any infection just incase but he will not need to be circ. so stop stressing and calm down
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 1:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• He'll be fine just make sure you keep it clean and put stuff on it.. he won't need to be circ.. even though i think you should have done that from the beginning.. to late now..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• well come on Jan0609 .. thats pretty rude .. it is her choice for her son if she circ or not .. if I had it to do again I wouldn't .. My son had to be recirc when he was 1 because they thought he had some birth defect which he did NOT and only circ him half way because they thought they needed that skin to fix whatever was wrong .. long story short .. the dr was an idiot and messed up .. so he had to be put to sleep when he was 14 months and have it done all over again .. she has every right to be upset and you are just rude for commenting if you can't be nice .. she didn't ask what you thought she should have done with her sons penis .. she is just worried about his injury .. geez

ahyesme

Answer by ahyesme at 1:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Sorry I didn't even answer you .. I think he will be fine .. I doubt he will have to be circ .. but if he does they will put him under and He won't feel anything until he wakes up and when my son went through it he didn't really complain after about 8 hours .. just kept him on motrin and he was fine .. the dressing fell off and the stitches (dissolvable) went away and he looks like any other circ boy

ahyesme

Answer by ahyesme at 2:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• First off you DO NOT need to be retracting it and that is often what causes the infections in intact boys. My son is intact and per doctors orders he is to be the ONLY one to retract it EVER. That being said I would take him into the doc and get an antibiotic just like you would if your daughter had an infection. The tear will heal just fine and if the doc does suggest circ then i would get a second and even third opinion on it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• This same thing happen to my son (3 yrs old ) today!!!! :(
    he is un-circ and naturally has retracted his own penis 90% (never force it only retract what goes back easliy fron natural seperation)

We do clean our son because if we dont rinse between diaper changes/potty trips it gets pretty rotten smelling...
    my son is pretty rough with his and i have been afraid one day he tear it..and yep tonight by the back of the head towards the body a lil tear :(.....
    I was scared to so i called his dr..the dr said to put antibiotic ointment on it and watch it..and that i could bring him in if i wanted to or if it didnt get better or showed signs of infection..
    BunnyGirl82

Answer by BunnyGirl82 at 10:39 PM on May. 20, 2010

• i also wanted to add that you shouldnt have to Circ. your son over this..if a dr even suggests this idea i ask why and get lots of 2nd 3rd ect oppions before doing that to your child... worst case is a adhesion that can be fixed later...boys can take 10-15 yrs or longer to fully retrack so this will not be a immediate issue if ever kwim

and i think circ. is a choice that only the child should make IMO so to tell a mother she should have made such a life alt. choice for her child is insensitive and ignorant!
    BunnyGirl82

Answer by BunnyGirl82 at 10:42 PM on May. 20, 2010