Child Support And SSI

My daughters father is on SSI so he doesnt pay any child support, SSI actually sent me a letter telling me that the case was closed because he is on SSI. Her father does buy her clothes here and there but its just not enough. Is there any other benefits I can for my daughter for her father being on SSI?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• She should recieve SSI as well being that he is on it, at least I thought so anyway.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• yes, she is entitled to a benefit amount based off his SSI. he should have informed SSI of her existance prior to this. you will likely have to contact them now and initiat the proceedings.

but it is ALSO rare for child support to drop the case like this. very odd really. in most states, all states, i believe that the state can still take a small percentage of his SSI for child support. you might wanna look in to thatas well.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10085.html
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• ok I looked at that website PP , my question is in order for me to get benefits for her, does everything need to go through her father, like the check going to himand then him giving it to me? is he the one who has to apply for it for her, or can I do it? The reason i'm asking that is because I really dont trust him with her SSN, I kind of want to do it without him knowing that is if it doent affect him at all. Does her money come out of his check? or is it seperate?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yeah she should get a portion of the SSI for support.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Contact you local office and they can lead you in the right direction.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• She will recieve a seperate amount from what he gets, if she lived with him he would recieve more then what he currently gets.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No she doesnt live with him, I was hoping it would be a seperate amount from what he gets, I dont want to take away from what little he already has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• In the state i live in they take what your child support is out of your SSI check each month. You should call child support office and notify them that he gets SSI and that he is not paying his child support. Buying clothes here and there is just not enough and he needs to step up and if he is not gonna be a man and do so himself then you need to do something about it. GL Call CS office first thing this morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No, you won't be taking any of HIS money. Your DD will qualify on her own till she's 18.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2010