How can I get both of my kids (daughter 5, son 2) to sleep in their beds and sleep through the night?

(It is 2:45 a.m. & they are awake!!!!!) Both of my kids share a room and a few weeks ago, my son saw a "ghost" and he's been freaked out about sleeping in his bed since. I can't get him back into his bed and I'm afraid that if he continues every night crying and screaming that the tenants above will complain and we will get thrown out or they will call the cops. And now my daughter is using my son as an excuse to not sleep in her bed either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I used bribes to get my daughter to sleep all night in her bed. I'd ask her what she'd want for breakfast the next day. When she'd tell me (usually it was pancakes), I'd say, "Okay, if you stay in your bed all night without getting into Mommy's bed or crying, I'll make pancakes for you." The first night she still climbed into my bed. The next morning, she asked for the pancakes and I explained that she didn't stay in her bed, so there were no pancakes. "Maybe tomorrow, if you sleep all night in your bed tonight". That night at bedtime, I said it again to remind her. It worked! I had to make pancakes every morning for a week, but after that week, bribes were no longer needed. I just told her what a big girl she was and I was so proud of her. Try talking to them. If your son thought he saw something, try to address that. Validate his fears to see what the real issue is. Good luck.
    mugsysmommy

Answer by mugsysmommy at 2:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• filll a spray bottle with lightly scented water. even lemon juice just a tad to make it smell . tell him it is ghost repellant and when he sprays his room it wil keep all ghosts and monsters away. a nightlight might not be a bad idea either. b

but momma let talk about you!! grow a backbone honey! LOL is it maybe gonna SUCK for afew nights constanty taking them back to thier own beds? SURE but the pay off is they wil eventually get the hint that MOMMA IS NOT PLAYING ANYMORE. stop letting them be in charge NONE of you are likely getting enough sleep!
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• nightlight? try a full-on lamp in their room. originally it was a lava lamp but no more.

as for me, i threw out my back doin exactly what you're telling me to do. so all i do is yell and tell them i'm gonna spank them, which i just can't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• welp if you dont do something , this isnt gonna stop is it? try the spray bottle at least.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• yes. you are right.

i really like the spray bottle idea.

THANKS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• hey, let me know if it works for ya!
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2010