when i first got pregnant i weight 120 5'4 and now i am 179lbs , can this be my problem that is preventing me from conceiving for a second time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• No, I am 5'2 and 200lbs and conceived, and with my first was 188lbs.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• for some women weight can be an issue. have you talked to your Dr? had any hormone and blood panels done yet?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• For some women, their weight may affect their ovulation. Being overweight can disrupt a woman’s regular monthly cycle, making it difficult for her to ovulate, and making it difficult to know exactly when she is ovulating. The impact of weight on ovulation has to do with the production of estrogen. Research suggests that for women who are overweight, the extra fat tissue can lead to an excess production of estrogen. This excess estrogen can then cause a hormonal imbalance that affects ovulation.

I have known a few women my mother included who had a hard time conceiving but when they lost 10- 15 lbs immediately got pregnant.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No weight gain will not make it difficult to get pregnant. I conceived 3months after my 1st child's birth. And then I was 5ft 3in and weighed 188 lbs. So it really depend on your body, str
    ess level, and hormones.
    boonee17

Answer by boonee17 at 5:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It's possible, but not necessarily. I was 5' 3" and 140lbs when I got pregnant with my first, and 189 when I got pregnant with my second. I would talk with your dr, and maybe just get a thorough check up to make sure everything else is ok.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Possibly. I was 50 pounds overweight when I was trying to get pregnant with my first one and we tried for a year and a half. I lost 45 pounds and got pregnant and the doctor said the weight loss might have had something to do with it. He said something about the fat cells affecting the estrogen levels. I don't remember all the details now. I'd go to the doctor and have your hormone levels, etc. checked.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I did hear a story about a doc telling a woman that if she lost a little that she may have a better chance of conceiving....
    brendynsmama

Answer by brendynsmama at 8:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I know that being underweight can be a problem when trying to conceive. I was 5'5 and weighed 90 lbs when we first tried, and it was only after I became about 120 lbs that I was able to get pregnant. I have also heard that being overweight can cause a problem conceiving as well.
    philsmom977

Answer by philsmom977 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Of course, extra weight makes it harder to conceive. Don't listent the overweight people telling you it doesn't make a difference, they just got lucky. Look it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Crissy1213's answer was right on the money.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2010