What kind of baby mattress would you recommend for a newborn? Exta firm? Firm? Plush? Very expensive? Or does it matter?

hey-boo-boo

Asked by hey-boo-boo at 3:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We ordered a baby waterbed mattress offline. NO the whole mattress isn't water, it has pouches in the mattress. It is better for the forming of the head...doesn't cause pressure spots that can make flat spots on the head. Yes it was like $200.....but DEFINATLY worth it to us....she sleeps wonderfully on it.
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Firm, never ever plush that can cause SIDS. I got mine at walmart for 60 bucks it is water proof and is great.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• firm. doesnt have to be expensive. just has to be safe.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Nothing CAUSES SIDS... I had a daughter die of SIDS. It is either accidental suffocation or malfunctioning chromosomes (so most doctors think). Most of the time, it is hard to tell the difference.

Anyway, back to the question. I would choose the most firm mattress you can get. Fire resistant as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Firm. I bought an organic mattress online. It was around $300. When I pulled it out of the box it didn't have that weird "new" smell that everything else you buy has. I feel good knowing she isn't breathing in harmful chemicals from her mattress. Because the mattress was more expensive we went with a cheaper crib. Ikea has one that Consumer Reports recommends and it's $150.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• We bought ours at Kmart for right around $50. It's a firm. I would not recommend a plush mattress.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2010