how much does a locksmith cost?

i have 2 keys to my car. i have one...dh has one...my brother borrowed my car one day and ended up putting my key in the glovebox which i hadnt gotten out before i took DH key and lost it....now i cant get in my car...just wondering about how much it costs for a locksmith to get into my car for the one in the glove.

MiraclesDHappen

Asked by MiraclesDHappen at 6:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Travel

• I have used a hanger to unlock my car many times. You unbend the hanger and carefully slide it into the window where the lock is. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it's not that hard. Good luck!
    ProudMami2008

Answer by ProudMami2008 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• it cost me $50 last time i needed one
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• go to the dealership and get a key from them it is 10 bucks compared to an locksmith who can cost a ton
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• truealaskanmom, that is not always true. I had a Ford Taurus & lost my keys & when I went to the dealership it cost me over $200. I know that we have a cheap lock smith here that charges $20. Good Luck & call around. They should be able to tell you how much it will cost.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Do you happen to have AAA or roadside assistance as part of your car insurance? If so then if you call them, it should be free. Otherwise, I think $50 is probably close.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My handyman/spouse charges $50 an hour, plus materials. If you are in the Chicago metro area, contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2010