Does anyone have a husband w/possessive personalty disorder?

I dont know what to do He's very controlling, manipultive,a real loner and dont want any in my life either.

459mom

Asked by 459mom at 8:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm familiar with many personality disorders that have possessive characteristics but not one of that particular name. The most common is Narcissist. My SO is a Narcissist. I couldn't win by just trying to be me so I decided to learn how to deal with his personality. There are many books, sites and articles about how to deal with someone like that. It's not easy to do but it can be done. These people are very self centered and if combined with a sociopath personality they don't really care about the feelings of others. It's a wonder they attract anyone but some can be very charming when they want to be then once they snag their prey and possess them (emotionally) they seem to no longer care. Good luck on this.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• You need counseling for the both of you or it could turn violent, and if it does you need to leave and never come back.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Er....I hate to break it to you, but the term "possessive personality disorder" doesn't actually mean anything. Admckenzie is correct; the term is "Narcissitic P ersonality Disorder".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• this is actually called ABUSE. cute of him or his dr to put a nice little name on it. but its abuse. get out, get away from this situation.its not gonna get better.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Everything has a name today and it's usually some kind of a disorder. What your husband is is selfish, and he didn't just get this way since you married him, but you chose to marry him anyway, and now you don't like what you got. Your job as his wife is to help him see his weaknesses and then to help him change. And that is his responsibility to you, as well, but it needs to begin with the wife. So, instead of criticizing his weaknesses, you simply tell him that you see this as an area where you have some strengths that you believe can benefit him, and then you start looking for ways to use your strengths to help him change. And guess what else? You are every bit as selfish as he is, but you for sure don't want me or anybody else saying that. Still it is the truth. Marriage is about working through our selfish motives and helping each other to overcome them. Been doing this with my hubby for 45 years, and it is fun!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:12 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• No, that's called just being an asshole.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 11:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2010