tonsils ??

how do you know when you need your tonsils out?
growing up every single year I got what we thought was strep throat. My throat would get all that white yucky stuff in it and it would swell really small and it was almost impossible to swollow. It quit for a while and I only got it every few years. Now this year, I have had it twice in a 6 week period. Went to the doc and took a strep test and was told it wasnt strep. Also took a mono test and was told it wasnt mono. But was also told that if it was mono it wouldnt show up until I have had it for 4 weeks. I am wondering since it went away and came back could it be mono or could it be that i just need ot get my tonsils out??

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 8:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Health

• I got strep 3 times a year growing up and then as teen I would constantly get tonsilitis, so when I was 18 I had my tonsils taken out. I'm 27 now and haven't had a bad soar throat since. It's definitely worth getting them taken out IMO. Ask your dr to refer you to a specialist.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 8:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• YOu don't have to get strep to have to have them out.. my son is 7 and hasn't ever had strep but had his removed last month.. he had "crypt" tonsils and tonsil stones.. could be the shite stuff you are talking about... I would go to a ear nose and throat specialist and tell them you want them out... Good luck to you ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2010