How many days can you keep a kid home from school without a drs note?

I kept my son home from school yesterday. I am keeping him home again today. His cold (at least thats what we think it is) gets better than gets worse again. He went from eating like normal to barely eating. He went from drinking like normal to only drinking ginger ale (though this morning he won't drink it so far). He is only 3 and goes to school 4 days a week.
I'm not a fan of sending him to school with a runny nose and cough.

austinsmama1106

Asked by austinsmama1106 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• As many as you want, you are his parent, they only have to attend 60% of the school year by law I believe.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• As many as you want, but you run the risk of exceeding the maximum days your school system mandates. If you have to keep your child home for a day or two with a cold, do it. If it goes past that, I'd get a doctors note then the days become excused.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• what grade and how old? if he is lathargic and not eating right, yeah keep him home. but for just sniffles and a cough? life goes on. i would ask your sons school how many days he can stay home before you HAVE to furnish a Dr note. it varies from county to county, state to state
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It depends. You have to call the school and ask.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Doctors notes for the most parts, aren't because they want an explanation. It's because they want a medical clearance that shows your kid is not contagious and can return back to school. It's for the health and safety of the other students/staff/etc.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• If he is in headstart then they will put him out of school if he misses a certain amount of school. When my daughter was in headstart she could only miss one week consecutively before they withdrew her. He is only 3, the school doesn't have to follow the public school guidelines.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• My son is only 3 and in preschool. If it was just the sniffles, I would keep him home but his nose is pouring. He doesn't know how to blow his nose nor wipe it himself. He is delayed (he also has Down syndrome). His cough is a deep cough, he's trying to bring up phlegm but can't. He's also not eating or drinking normally. All reasons I am keeping him home. He picked this up at school and I don't want him taking it back and running the risk of getting it again!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• in daycare I dont think it matters, but in elementary schoolit may be diff

hope he feels better - and kudos to you for not sending him to share his germs :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Okay, having read your other post/question. You need to take him to a doctor.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• He will be going to the dr at 2:00 this afternoon. If they suggest keeping him home for the rest of the week, I will ask for a note just so the school will know.
    Being that he's in a class with 8 other kids ages 3 and 4, I know its better to keep him home and not spread germs. His school is very good about washing hands (my son now washes his about 10 times a day) and cleaning toys but its inevitable, the kids are going to get sick and spread it around! I just don't want my kid to do the spreading, nor get this a second time!
    He hasn't been sick for a year and that was with the flu that he picked up from a playgroup!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2010