Would you take him to the dr?

My 3 year old has been sick since Friday. It started out with just a runny nose. Then came the fever and congestion. Then he got the cough. He can't bring up the phlegm at all, so he's not getting better. I gave him about 4 doses (4mL) of Dimetapp between Sat and Sun, but none yesterday nor today. I have tried everything I can think of to make him feel better. Vicks from head to toe, steam room (bathroom while hot water runs), vaporizer, humidifier and meds which I hate giving! Nothing it helping!

austinsmama1106

Asked by austinsmama1106 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• What does the cough sound like? I'd say take him in. Maybe they can give him and expectorant to help get that phlegm out. Could be nothing but a cold, could be anything from Croup to Bronchitis. Doesn't hurt to have someone take a look. Good Luck.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't until next week if he isn't better, these things get worse then better.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• i would take him in
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• 1 - too young for cold meds
    2 - yeah take him in

hope he feels better
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It is a deep cough, he's trying to bring up phlegm but he can't. You can feel how deep it is when you're holding him, its the worst at night. When he started coughing last night, my husband picked him up and couldn't believe how hard he was coughing and how much you could feel it in his little chest.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• how high is his fever how has has it been and been maintained at? if he's tugging at his ears or has a red ear he could have an infection. If he still has a fever that's over 100.5 close or over 101 for almost a week I'd take ds in. Green mucus from the nose many times but not always is a sinus infection if he has that. If a bad cold sinus infection doesn't clear well it can lead to pink eye with a sinus infection cold.

It could clear but sounds like you'd like medical reassurance from your doctor. That's what they're there for. Maybe a miracle will come and ds will be all over it before the appointment.

Hope he feels better!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• That sounds like Croup. It gets worse when they try to sleep. My son had that last year.You should take him in just to be sure.

BTW, three years old is NOT too young for cold meds.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• LyTe684 - 3 yrs IS too young for over the counter cold meds. I am a peds nurse.........
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• LOL If you say so....... I'm not going to argue. I know what I was TOLD to give my kid when he was sick. And yes he's three. I agree to disagree. :-) Have a nice day.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 9:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Yes 3 is too young for cold meds, they now say that children under 5 shouldn't use them, and children under 10 should use them very rarely.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2010