When does a little one start holding a pencil or pen in the correct position?

My son is going to be 18 months tomorrow. He holds his crayons PERFECTLY. I have cared for a lot of kids and I didn't think this happened until around 2 1/2 or 3.

When on average do kids start doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know it is not till age 3 when you will know what hand they will wrote with. So I bet it is around this age they try to hold it right too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It's different for everyone. Some kids will never hold a pencil correctly if not instructed on how to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Not rly sure. My daughter turned 2 in December. She has been holding pens and pencils perfectly and only in her left hand. But rly idk what the exact age they should be doing this is, I tend to not pay attention to "deadlines" for milestones.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• It just depends on the kid. I think, on average, its around 3 or 4.
    My oldest was 3, my son was about 3 1/2, my middle daughter couldn't figure it out until she was like 5 and my youngest daughter was 2 1/2 (she also shocked my son's 1st grade teacher by coloring in the lines better then most of the 6 and 7 year old kids in her class, lol).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2010